Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German IR14 and 49 during the spring offensive (1917).

Aisne1917

Hello,

I am looking for information on the IR 14 and 49 during the french offensive of April/May 1917. They were facing the Russian troops on the western front north of Reims. Does any one have the units history or any info concerning them at this time?

Thanks in advance.

A.

II./IR49 was surprised by 3 Russian Brigades that reinforced the French 52nd Infantry Division: on April 19th the Russians attacked at Höhe 91 mainly confronting the II. Btl IR49. The Germans were surprised to fight against Russians. The Russians advanced between Höhe 91 and Höhe 100 up to "Flügelwald". 7th coy swung back to the right, 5th coy to the left. Then all coys of II.Btl counterattacked the Russians in a concentric movement and 5th coy, Lt Brandt, closed the opened sack, reaching 7th coy. This was accomplished at 18:00hrs. The Russians were cut off from own lines. Together with 2./155 they destroyed the Russian forces completely, 3 Brigades "....they did not exist anymore the evening of 19.April, the remnants were taken PoW..."

Hello,

Thanks a lot Egbert, it looks from your writing that the IR155 was also involved into this action. Is there any account about "Tranchée du Talus" or "Bochum"? There are some writting in the french JMO that I would like to compare with the german ones.

PLANS%20LIGNES%20CHAMPAGNE%203.resized.j

Thanks

A.

Hello,

Thanks a lot Egbert, it looks from your writing that the IR155 was also involved into this action. Is there any account about "Tranchée du Talus" or "Bochum"? There are some writting in the french JMO that I would like to compare with the german ones.

PLANS%20LIGNES%20CHAMPAGNE%203.resized.j

Thanks

A.

The map is not visible!

If you can post, or PM me the map with the trenches Bochum and Talu marked, I may have a German aerial picture. I posses a couple of Höhe 100 aerials. Maybe they match your area of interest. But again- my aerials do not show names of trenches, so I need to compare them with a good resolution scanned map!

The said trenches are not mentioned in the regimental history but the wood "Flügelwald" between Höhe 100 and 91= where is it?

"Der Russe hatte mit zähester Wut gekämpft und keinen Pardon gegeben. So erfuhr ihm ein Gleiches."

Btw- if you read the link in the signature below- my Grandfather was a member of IR49!

P.S. Are you Alain=amalric?

Hello,

I don't know what has happen... Here is the map again, I am trying to find this Flugelwald but no success. Between Hohe100 (Mont Spin) and hohe91 (Mont de Sapigneul) there are only 2 woods wich are "Bois en dentelle" and "Bois de la chenille". I can't figure out what Germans called "Fluelgwald".

If you need, I can put more of the map going more to the Hohe 100.

Considering the quotation that you wrote, I am assuming that the german suffer a lot from this attack. Do you have a casulaties report for it?

Yes, I have seen your signature! I think you are the only person who could have help me on this! I got lucky! Thanks a lot for your time and research, I really apreciate. I have start reading the thread by the way about your grandpa trunk! When did he start to be part of IR49? (perhaps I will read it later in the thread :-) )

And lastly, no, I am not Alain.

PLANS%20LIGNES%20CHAMPAGNE%203.jpg

A.

Hi mysterious A.

I have posted the question about "Flügelwald" pres de cote 100 on the French forum, but got no responses by the experts:

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.net/pages1418/forum-pages-histoire/autre/bermericourt-environs-immediats-sujet_11741_3.htm#bas

This coming weekend I will look into my aerials from that area. You are mainly interested in what the French called Bochum- and Talus trench right? Let me know if you can read old German, I can scan the regimental history pages around the 17 April. Sadly no drawings about that battle nor in the text part , nor in the annex part.

My GF was a member of IR49 since 1912 until kia 1918

Hello Egbert,

Thanks for the post on the other forum, I will keep an eye on it! I will really apreciate if you can scan me the pages! I am fine to handle a couple of pages in old german. I am interested by the Russian assault there between hohe 91 and 100. This is mostly the scan of the map I have inserted in my previous message. It is the trenchees which are named in the french/Russiam report: Parallèle, talus, bochum, in fact mostly what is on the map I am showing. In the report, the russian were attacking on a wide area hohe 91 to 100 but for unknown reason, they converge to one point (Flugelwald according to the Germans) where they have been wiped out. This is what I am trying to figure out.

Thanks again for your help.

A.

I must confess that I looked at the original post by " mysterious A." when it first appeared and suspected that the Author was confused.

Now I see that there were three Russian Brigades present.

So now I ask how did so many Russians appear on the Western Front, surely they could not have crossed the Central occupied lands, or were there French-Russians already present in France before the war broke out. ?

Most interesting thread.

Now I see that they made an epic adventure over land and sea.

just had a look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Russia_World_War_I_Western_Front.svg

I looked up the Verlustliste IR49 and found for 19 April 1917 a total of 26 killed in action ,

5.Kompanie=6

6.Kompanie=1

7.Kompanie=0

8.Kompanie=5

9.Kompanie=9

10: Kompanie=1

11.Kompanie=1

12,Kompanie=3

Hello Egbert,

thanks a lot, that is a "few" compare to what Russian lost there! I will check on the map I have to figure out how the position was defended there, certainly really well!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...