Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Elizabeth Grammar School Wakefield Memorial

Mark Hone

I wonder if anyone has researched the names on this rather splendid school memorial (Grade II listed)? One of the Great War dead listed is Private Edward Taylor Heath of 2nd Royal Scots who died in the capture of Zonnebeke in September 1917. Born in Huddersfield he attended both Bury Grammar School and QEGS and is included on our War Memorial as well. Unfortunately he is one of the handful of old boys who died for whom I do not possess a photograph. I presume that the family had moved back to Yorkshire by 1917 and that therefore there was no obituary and photograph of him in the local Bury press.

• 5 weeks later...

I have had no success getting a reply from QEGS Wakefield about this. I seem to recall a similar thing happening when I contacted them before, but it may well be because of the summer holidays. I'll give them a few more weeks before following another line of enquiry.

I have sent the link and the text to a friend who teaches at QEGS (maths not history)

Ian

Thanks, Ian. I don't know want to harass them but from a couple of items I have seen on the 'net the school is obviously interested in the memorial and Private Heath forms a poignant link between our two schools.

• 9 months later...

I know it's a little late - I don't check in as often as  would like, but this may be of help

http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/QUEGS War memorial.html

Thanks. I did get some useful information from the school eventually but no photograph as yet. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Unfortunately, Private Heath is the only one of the 8 BGS old boys commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial for whom I still lack a photograph. Has anyone carried out research into local Wakefield newspapers and knows the best means of accessing them?

Edited by Mark Hone

• 1 year later...

Sorry coming late to this. I am researching the Grammar School boys who went onto play for Wakefield RFC and died in the war. I can look up the local newspapers at the local library if you still need it?