Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the Worcesters

McCudden

You're in luck. This absolute masterpiece of Great War history has just been reprinted by Naval and Military Press for about £65.

Be warned: delivery time can be up to 28 days I think. They have a good web page which should have more information.

This is only 3 months after I spent £300 on an original copy!! I think the 1926 print run is really pretty rare now. A professional booksearch company found my copy which was presented to the Naval and Military Club by the Regiment itself in the 1940s.

If there's anything I can look up for you (the book has a fantastic index and roll of honour) I'd be happy to.

That goes for other forum members too! It will have to earn its keep at that price....I told my wife it was an investment!

Best,

Simon

I was told a few years ago that the Worcesters Official History was one of the most sought after-a military bookshop I went into in 1990 had a fine copy for £90 so there's inflation for you. Readers might be interested to know that the Queen's Lancashire Regiment is currently reprinting the official histories of its component regiments-see separate posting for details.

• 4 years later...

The Worcestershire Regiment in The Great War" by Stacke

I have just sent for a modern reprint from Amazon.co.uk. They are listed at £65.00 but one of the "new and used" market place sellers had one for £46.50. + p&p A lot of money for a paperback but worth it I hope. It does seem to be regularly quoted in the forum.

Jill

You're in luck. This absolute masterpiece of Great War history has just been reprinted by Naval and Military Press for about £65.

Be warned: delivery time can be up to 28 days I think. They have a good web page which should have more information.

This is only 3 months after I spent £300 on an original copy!! I think the 1926 print run is really pretty rare now. A professional booksearch company found my copy which was presented to the Naval and Military Club by the Regiment itself in the 1940s.

If there's anything I can look up for you (the book has a fantastic index and roll of honour) I'd be happy to.

That goes for other forum members too! It will have to earn its keep at that price....I told my wife it was an investment!

Best,

Simon

Simon,

I'm interested in:

Name John Haycox

Address 15 Coppice Lane, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall, Staffs.

NOK Husband of Mary Elizabeth Haycox

Rank Private

No 15064

Regt 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment

Date of Death 16.06.1915

Age 35

How Killed in Action

Theatre France and Flanders

Buried YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Notes John Haycox, Private 15064, 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment, 7th

Brigade, 3rd Division. Killed in Action on Wednesday 16 June 1915, France &

Flanders, in the battle known as the First Attack on Bellewaarde (near

Ypres). Age 35 . Born Bewdley, Worcestershire, enlisted in and resident of

Walsall. Husband of Mary Elizabeth Haycox, of 15, Coppice Lane, Cheslyn Hay,

and

Name Joseph Masters

Address

NOK

Rank Lance Corporal

No 7854

Regt 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment

Date of Death 07.11.1914

How

Theatre France and Flanders

Buried YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Notes Enlisted Dudley

Born in Tipton

Residence given as Sandywood, Staffs (Landywood?)

If you can help.

Many thanks

Jon

I have just sent for a modern reprint from Amazon.co.uk. They are listed at £65.00 but one of the "new and used" market place sellers had one for £46.50. + p&p A lot of money for a paperback but worth it I hope. It does seem to be regularly quoted in the forum.

Jill

Hi quality CD-ROM facsimile PDF book format, £15 from:

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Hi quality CD-ROM facsimile PDF book format, £15 from:

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org

Geoff, that is a belter and there's a searchable version on the website!

Nice one, thanks.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Jill

I spoke too soon! I have just been informed that the book is not available as it was not in the condition it should have been. I think that they underpriced it and are using this as an excuse, there are now others at under £50 but the cd souds a good way of getting a glimpse first.

• 3 weeks later...
I spoke too soon! I have just been informed that the book is not available as it was not in the condition it should have been. I think that they underpriced it and are using this as an excuse, there are now others at under £50 but the cd souds a good way of getting a glimpse first.

I now have the CD, very fast delivery! although I am not that keen on reading off screen it is useful to be able to zoom in to the pictures and maps. A worthwhile purchase. All I have to do is start saving for an original copy!