Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'...qualified as an Assistant Instructor...'

trajan

I'd greatly appreciate help with this one please. Grandad's record, showing that he 'Specially qualified as an Assistant Instructor at the/????'... I suspect it was something to do with becoming a qualified 'bomber', but cannot read where or what he 'qualified' in...

post-69449-0-09209300-1437383318_thumb.j

I'll give it a bit of a go.

"Specially qualified as an Assistant Instructor at the Command Grenade School at [something] Heath 9.8.16"

post-113776-0-17010700-1437387252_thumb.

Regards

Chris

Southern Command Grenade School was in the New Forest, a place one associates with heaths. Maybe an area to look at ?

Could the last 3 words be 'at/of Prees Heath' ?

Prees Heath Camp, near Whitchurch, Shropshire, was built to accommodate and train new recruits in the art of trench warfare before being sent to the from line.

JP

post-105192-0-71981700-1437389181_thumb.

Many, many thanks, all three!

G/dad attested with the Loyal.N.Lancs at Bolton on 05/06/15 and so Prees Camp sounds likely, if the Loyal N.Lancs were training there before 13/10/16?

G/dad was transferred from the Loyal N.Lancs to the 2/1st Herefs. 13/10/16, who were then, I understand, in Shropshire/Herefordshire, but that is too late for his 'qualification' as an Asst.Instructor, before being posted to 1/1 Herefs. 05/05/17, then on to Egypt. .

While with the Loyal N.Lancs. he was 'appointed' L/Cpl on 18/04/16, only to revert to Pte., "under A.C.I 1701 of 1916", when sent to the 2/1st Herefs., so is it possible there is a connection, i.e., he was sent on a course in grenade throwing in connection with receiving his stripe?

Thanks again for helping to clear this one up!

Trajan

Many, many thanks, all three!

G/dad attested with the Loyal.N.Lancs at Bolton on 05/06/15 and so Prees Camp sounds likely, if the Loyal N.Lancs were training there before 13/10/16?

G/dad was transferred from the Loyal N.Lancs to the 2/1st Herefs. 13/10/16, who were then, I understand, in Shropshire/Herefordshire, but that is too late for his 'qualification' as an Asst.Instructor, before being posted to 1/1 Herefs. 05/05/17, then on to Egypt. .

While with the Loyal N.Lancs. he was 'appointed' L/Cpl on 18/04/16, only to revert to Pte., "under A.C.I 1701 of 1916", when sent to the 2/1st Herefs., so is it possible there is a connection, i.e., he was sent on a course in grenade throwing in connection with receiving his stripe?

Thanks again for helping to clear this one up!

Trajan

What was your Grandfather's connection with Bolton?

If he signed on with the 2/5th Bn. he probably knew my (Maternal) Grandfather.

it can be a small world!

bill

... What was your Grandfather's connection with Bolton? If he signed on with the 2/5th Bn. he probably knew my (Maternal) Grandfather. it can be a small world!

bill

Indeed! His Attestation Paper (as a Territorial) simply gives him as No. 5229, with the "5th L N L Regt", living at 55 John Brown Street, Bolton. He was working as a millhand if I remember rightly, married with three girls, one of them later to be my mum.

Julian

Indeed! His Attestation Paper (as a Territorial) simply gives him as No. 5229, with the "5th L N L Regt", living at 55 John Brown Street, Bolton. He was working as a millhand if I remember rightly, married with three girls, one of them later to be my mum.

Julian

John Brown St. still exists but there are no houses now just small trading/industrial units. In 1915 there would have been at least half a dozen Cotton Mills, mostly spinning mills, within five minutes walk of his home, one mill remains in that area but not used as such now.

John Brown St. still exists but there are no houses now just small trading/industrial units. In 1915 there would have been at least half a dozen Cotton Mills, mostly spinning mills, within five minutes walk of his home, one mill remains in that area but not used as such now.

Haven't been to Bolton for some 50 years... So, I'll know what to expect if I ever get that way in the near future! Thanks!

BTW, when did your G/dad attest - before or after, or even same day? Did he end up being transferred to another unit also, as was the case with mine?

Haven't been to Bolton for some 50 years... So, I'll know what to expect if I ever get that way in the near future! Thanks!

BTW, when did your G/dad attest - before or after, or even same day? Did he end up being transferred to another unit also, as was the case with mine?

Not sure when GF attested, I have been unable to trace his records. However is original number was 5291 which is very close to your GF's. His surname was Wild so if they placed the men to be attested in a given day in Alphabetical order; they may well have attested on same day or at least very close to each other.

GF stayed with 2/5th throughout war, arrived in France/Flanders in 1917, first major action Paschendale. He ended war as a CSM although probably only acting because his Certificate for Belgian Croix de Gurre, issued in 1919 as his rank as Staff Sergeant, (not Colour Serjeant as one would expect for Infantry), gazette entry in 1918 has Serjeant.

:w00t: Spell Check for Paschedale offered Chippendale :w00t:

bill

Not sure when GF attested, I have been unable to trace his records. However is original number was 5291 which is very close to your GF's. His surname was Wild so if they placed the men to be attested in a given day in Alphabetical order; they may well have attested on same day or at least very close to each other.

GF stayed with 2/5th throughout war, arrived in France/Flanders in 1917, first major action Paschendale. He ended war as a CSM although probably only acting because his Certificate for Belgian Croix de Gurre, issued in 1919 as his rank as Staff Sergeant, (not Colour Serjeant as one would expect for Infantry), gazette entry in 1918 has Serjeant.

:w00t: Spell Check for Paschedale offered Chippendale :w00t:

bill

Funny to think they could well have been in line together.... And your's certainly had more of a 'real' war than my G/dad!

Funny to think they could well have been in line together.... And your's certainly had more of a 'real' war than my G/dad!

GF had a pretty unforgettable first major action but I am probably here because in February 1918 the Battalion became the Pioneer Bn for 57th Div.

His Bn still suffered casualties but not to the extent that the standard Infantry battalion suffered in Defence or Assault during the open warfare of 1918.