Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Australian Soldier

Andrew P

Heard this morning of the sad passing of Robert Dunford who served in the Australian 1st Ammunition Divisional Column in WW1.

With his death it leaves only 8 Australians still alive who served in the war.

Regards

Andrew

God bless him. Do you happen to know how old he was when he joined up, and how old he was when he passed on?

God bless him. Do you happen to know how old he was when he joined up, and how old he was when he passed on?

Hi Broznitsky

He was 104 when he died and about 17 when he enlisted.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Do you by any chance have any further information on the Australian 1st Ammunition Divisional Column?

I know that the 1st Australian Divisional Ammunition Park (ADAP), AASC was one of the first Australian Imperial Force units to go into 'camp' in England. They were stationed at Broadlands Park, Romsey from February 1915 until leaving for France in July 1915. Is this the same unit?

The reason I ask concerns the picture below which shows the military funeral in Romsey for a soldier from the unit whom I have been researching recently.

Regards

Marc

Rest in peace Mr Dunford.

Hi Mark

The Ist Australian Division Ammunition Column & the 1st Division Ammunition Park were different units.

I believe that the 1st DAC were stationed in Egypt during the Gallipoli campaign with several of it's members also serving on Gallipoli.

I had heard that an Australian Motor Transport Unit had gone to France early on in the war but I actually wasn't aware that the 1st Div Ammunition Park also went to England and France so early.

I would like to hear more about the soldier you're researching.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the information. I have e-mailed you off forum with some additional details concerning the soldier that I am researching.

He died from pneumonia whilst the 1st ADAP was based at Romsey and is buried in the local cemetery. Below is a photo of his private memorial headstone erected by his colleagues in 1915.

Regards

Marc

• 3 years later...

I am a wee bit late into this thread, just the three years. But I have a tiny bit of info about Romesy which may help someone. My GF was there with the 9th AASC in April 1916. He came over from Australia on the Ceramic which sailed from Melbourne on the 22 december 1914, the troops were meant for Gallipoli but the ship was redirected apparently. My GF was commissioned into the King's Liverpool then, and so did not follow the AASC.

he signed his papers in the Romsey Drill hall before Captain Charles Gondard.

Any information or images anyone has of the Romsey camp would be very nice. The earlier images posted in this thread are no longer available.

Red

I am a wee bit late into this thread, just the three years. But I have a tiny bit of info about Romesy which may help someone. My GF was there with the 9th AASC in April 1916. He came over from Australia on the Ceramic which sailed from Melbourne on the 22 december 1914, the troops were meant for Gallipoli but the ship was redirected apparently. My GF was commissioned into the King's Liverpool then, and so did not follow the AASC.

he signed his papers in the Romsey Drill hall before Captain Charles Gondard.

Any information or images anyone has of the Romsey camp would be very nice. The earlier images posted in this thread are no longer available.

Red

An Aussie in the King's Liverpool? Did he have a translator?

I bet he had an interesting time!

Bruce

(writing from Scouseland)