Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Officers' gratuities, 1920s

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWF enthusiasts,

I have recently seen the medals to a Lieut. R. H. Byerley: BWM; Victory (Lieut.); IGS clasps Afgh NWF 1919 and Waziristan 1921-24(2-Lt., 2-119 Infy.); GSM clasp Iraq (Lieut.).

He did not even feature in the index of the 1919 IA List, however, did get a mention on the 2nd Bn., 119th Infantry (Mooltan) page as 2Lt., attached IA (on probabation), from Yorks and Lancs R. (where he seemed to have earned his BWM and Victory as a Lieut.): joined 2-119 Infantry on 14 Oct 1918.

He subsequently saw considerable service with 2-119 Infy., but was probably deemed as a surplus to the Establishment officer in the early 1920s. This also applied to two other officers with similar service, which are in my collection: one IARO (Capt H. S. Crowley, Bengal Sappers and Miners), and the other, a regular Cavalry officer (Lieut R. G. Aitken).

This was obviously a wide-spread post-war practise, probably to save paying pensions.

My question is:

What sort of a gratuity could such officers expect? Was it akin to a Golden Handshake, or something more of a pittance? Oddly, some former IARO amateurs seem to have escaped the cuts; other, even decorated, regulars, were not so fortunate.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

I have seen gratuities for the British Army, for non-regulars the amount was 124 days pay for the first year and 62 days for each further year.

Craig

Dear Craig,

Thanks for that. I assume your figures are for Officers.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Craig,

Once more, many thanks for going to the not inconsiderable trouble to answer my question.

I believe that Indian Army officers were rather better-paid than those of the British Army, but the difference in the size of the gratuities could not have been great. Obviously, far removed from a Golden Handshake - and that, after sterling service.

The British Empire got first-rate officers at bargain prices!

Kindest regards,

Kim.