Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting cemeteries

conisbrough100

Hi There,

We are currently undertaking a centenary project The Conisbrough and Denaby 100 Project http://www.ww1remembrance.com/#!100project/csac

As part of the project, we need to visit, photograph and leave a 'tribute' (laminated A4 sheet) at the grave of 100 men. We have so far visited over 85 of them, mostly in France and Belgium, plus 5 which a forum member very helpfully visited for us in Turkey.

We have another three, which are in not-easily-accessible locations. Originally, we were fully 100% intending to get to all of these men ourselves, but due to the imminent arrival of our first child it's looking unlikely that we'll be able to get to them within the timescales of the Project (to finish before November 2018).

Those locations are:

Niederzwehren Cemetery, Kassel (Germany)

Capuccini Naval Cemetery, Malta

Faenza Cemetery, Italy

I wondered if anyone is going to or near these cemeteries and would be very kindly able to help us out?

Many thanks

Sarah Smith

The Conisbrough and Denaby 100 Project

H I Sarah, think we have come across a few of your laminated sheets in visitor book boxes while visiting. regarding Niederzwehren, search through the threads as there has been much discussion regarding the cemetery and grave photos on the forum, (one of my great uncles is there) there is a contact there who can take pictures for us and you could probably email him a sheet..

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Faenza in late Aug/early Sep.

As mentioned by seadog, for a lasting tribute it might be better to have them in or near the Visitors Book/recess.

I'd also hazard a guess that, where possible, the CWGC gardeners have probably taken it upon themselves to put them there for safe keeping, it's not as if it's tatty pieces of paper that could otherwise spoil the symmetry of the CWGC cemeteries.

No doubt they also contain your Groups contact details for anyone seeing these, such as relatives, to follow up and maybe exchange info/photos etc.

Excellent project Sarah and I like the website.....you have managed to locate so many images of the men......and I Like very much how you have laid these out..........looks very effective.

Good luck with completing the work

KB.

Thank you all for your replies - yes KevinBattle I think that they do remove them, which is fine; we dont expect them to stay at the gravesite forever but yes they do contain our details and so anyone interested in them could get in contact with us. We also leave a business card in the register with our website/facebook/twitter/email address on it and have had some response from this.

Thank you Kitchener's Bugle, we are trying our best. I am concentrating on the research of each of the men, and my partner is concentrating on researching the battles and actions that they were involved in, so together we should get a good rounded picture. To begin with we're on the 'first sweep' through them; family history, basic military information etc and then when all 100 have had this treatment, I will return back through them and see if I can dig even deeper. Our intention is to leave a lasting legacy that future generations (particularly ones which are more internet and computer-focussed than the older generations) can reference to see what happened to the men of their village.

Sarah

Gareth Davies, thank you - I've PM'd you.

Sarah

• 2 weeks later...

Gareth, are you still planning on visiting Faenza soon?