Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

291486 Pte James Henry Lampard, 16th Devonshire Regt

lascamelias

I'm trying to research this casualty who was killed in action 3 December 1917 age 18.

I've only found one reference to that date:

"In the spring of 1917, after the amalgamation, the 16th Devons were sent to the front at Gaza, where they patrolled and skirmished with the Turks. After intensive training, they played a part in Allenby’s advance on Jerusalem and, on 3rd December, suffered 286 casualties in an unsuccessful attack on El Foka"

Can anyone tell me more about what was happening in the attack on El Foka please?

Thank you. LC

LC,

From 'Military Operations in Egypt and Palestine' Vol. 2 Pt 1, pp. 235-6:

'On the morning of the 3rd December a last attempt was made by the 74th Division to recover Beit 'Ur el Foqa. This was carried out by the 16/Devonshire, 229th Brigade, and launched from the head of the Wadi Zeit at 1am. At 3,30 the village was captured with 17 prisoners and three machine-guns. But heavy counter-attacks were launched before consolidation could be carried out, and the battalion was galled by machine-gun fire from the neighbouring ridges. Bombing and hand-to-hand fighting continued all this morning. The 74th Division was, in fact, learning over again the lesson which had been impressed upon Major-General Barrow when he had had time to study the ground, that Foqa was untenable while the Zeitun Ridge, Jonquil Hill and the hills to the north were in the enemy's hands. Soon after noon, Lieut.-Colonel A. C. Mardon obtained permission to withdraw through Tahta. The losses were heavy, numbering 286, and included three company commanders.'

Beit 'Ur el Foqa was at what might be termed the north-east corner of the British lines in late November and early December 1917. This corner formed the hinge between the line that ran east-west from the coast and the line that ran north-south towards and past Jerusalem. It had been fought over by the Yeomanry Mounted Division and the 231st Brigade of the 74th Division. After the failure of the 3 December attack, General Chetwode (the Corps commander) called a halt to offensive operations in this area, and paused to regroup and bring up supplies. The offensive then restarted on 8 December, pushing east to take Jerusalem.

I hope this helps.

Stuart

Forgot to say - the Divisional history for the 74th includes a chapter on the fighting for Foqa, including a couple of pages on the attack of the Devonshires. If you PM me your address, I'll put a photocopy into the post for you.

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Perfecto! That is an excellent piece; thank you very much indeed. Will email my address. You are very kind.

LC

LC,

If you need help in identifying these different hills around Beit Ur a-Foka – Write me and I'll gladly help.

Eran

Eran, thank you very much for your offer of help. I will call on you if needed. I am absolutely amazed at the help and time GWF members have given me, soooo grateful.

LC

The 16th Devons had left Gaza on Nov 22nd and reached Latron on the 28th. their Div (74th) came into line NW of Nebi Samwil and was soon heavily engaged in the amazing tangle of ravines and hills between Beit Dukka and the Wadi Zait. The Devons were in reserve at first, but on Dec. 1st A & B Companies reinforced the Fife & Forfars opposite El Foka, which had already been taken and lost again. Next evening the rest of the Batt. moved up for a fresh attack on the village, joining A & B Comp's. at the junction of Wadi Zait and Wadi Shabab, SW of Foka. It then struggled up the ravine of the Wadi Zait for another 1000 yards before reaching the position of deployment. About 1am on Dec 3rd, the Batt. started its attack.It had a desperate scramble over broken ground, climbing from terrace to terrace, but it forged ahead and about 3am came rushing into Foka. The Turks resisted stubbornly but without avail: they were driven headlong from the village, 60 prisoners and 3 Machine guns being taken. But before the Devons could take stock of the position much less consolidate it properly, Counter-attacks began. Turkish bombers pressed in to close quarters, and were with difficulty kept at bay, bayonets being frequently used, while bombs began to run short. great efforts were made to fetch up more - a big dump had been left at the junction of the Wadis, and the Tenth Div., from the left sent up a welcome supply, but as fast as they arrived they were used up. With daylight it became clear that the position was precarious. From the NE, E and SE higher hills commanded the Foka Peak, the Turks could collect for their attacks in deep ravines where no artillery could reach them, and the defenders were cramped for room, and the ground was too rocky for any digging. From the hill to the SE machine guns even caught the the Devons in reverse, and soon after 1pm Major Mardon realizing that the position was untenable and that to hang on longer would mean useless slaughter, reluctantly requested and obtained permission to withdraw. The evacuation was successfully conducted, though with a long list of "missing" when the Batt. eventually collected near Beit Likia. Casualties: - 5 Officers and 140 men killed or missing, 9 Officers and 132 men wounded. The 74th Div. went on to take part in the final attacks on Jerusalem but the 16th Devons had had been left in reserve to the 10th Div. and saw none of this fighting. They moved over to Tel el Ful, north of Jerusalem on the evening of Dec. 9th (the day Jerusalem surrendered) After two days here they went back to Beit Iksa on the 11th for two weeks training and road-making.

Info from "The Devonshire Regiment 1914 - 1918."

My grandad was in the 16th Devons having previously been a North Devon Hussar. I presume you know that the Royal North Devon Hussars and the Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry were amalgamated on 4th Jan. 1917 to form the 16th (Devon Yeomanry) Batt. Devonshire Regt.

Hope this helps. All The Best. SGOB

Thank you SGOB, you have spent a lot of time on my behalf. It is very much appreciated.

LC

• 2 years later...

Hi......I have just found my grandfather's handwritten WW1 diary and am now fully researching it. He was in 'A' Coy. who took part in the attack on Beit Ur a-Foka. You might be interested in this extract....he is the master of understatement as his comment on the 4th Dec illustrates. Shortly after this he describes getting lost in the desert!

Sun 2nd Dec:   A & B coys left this ridge and rejoined the remainder of the Battn. in a Wadi. We left this Wadi about 10:30 PM after dumping our packs to attack the village of El Foka* A Coy leading.

Mon 3rd Dec:   We attacked the village at 1 AM & captured it with slight casualties. The Turks made 3 counter attacks during the morning & at 1.30 PM he forced us to make a very hasty. We tried to rally, but it was no good & we reformed less than half-a-Battn. at our starting point. 

Tue 4th Dec:   We had the day off and I think that we deserved it. I don’t think I ever want to be in such a tight corner ever again.

He was a marksman and later became a signaller............so I hope you get his message!

Kind regards, Jon

Hi Sjack91,

At the moment I am intending to transcribe his diaries and hopefully his regimental museum might one day like a copy and this might prove a useful resource for others. Alongside this, I aim to write a book for 'family members' in which I will present his writings within a broader overview of the events he took part in. Then I will provide them with a supplement to this, which will describe and illustrate each of the places he mentions as they were at the time, plus many aspects of his daily army life in both the Middle East and France; the equipment and machines he mentions and hopefully 'flesh out' some of the people alongside him and who he probably knew. I just chanced upon this forum and the mention of Pte James Henry Lampard, 18 years old, and a fellow member of my grandfather's 'A' Coy, who was sadly killed in the same attack on Beit Ur a-Foka. My grandfather mentions just a little later in his diary, going to visit some of his recently killed friends' graves.  

Thanks for your enquiry...............this should keep me out of mischief for a wee while!

Regards, Jon