Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.F.A. 101st Brigade or not ?

Mickpetty

I am researching the history and theatre of war for my G/F in law, Gnr Herbert Taylor 71588 R.F.A. It all started with this photograph post-123376-0-22929900-1436974696_thumb.. The actual size of the photo is almost 2ft long, and is not in my possession yet. However, I have managed to photograph it in five different segments with an iPad and then stitch it back together again. It shows C Battallion, 101st Brigade, 22nd Division 1915. Thanks to the Long Long Trail and the book "Under The Devils Eye", I now have a basic knowledge of where he served. I spent a lot of time searching for his M.I.C. because his full name was Thomas H. Taylor, but used the name Herbert. It's the numbers on the card that confuse me, especially the numbers under the heading "Roll". Are they Battalion numbers, or Battery numbers ?. post-123376-0-74222500-1436976586_thumb.

As a total newbie on this forum, I'm overawed by the knowledge of it's members.

Mick

Mick,

If you subscribe to Find my Past then you will see him on a casualty form. Wounded 10th October 1917 while serving with D/114th Brigade.

The numbers on the MIC are reference and page numbers for the medal rolls.

Kevin

Welcome to the Forum, Mick,

101st Brigade was a Howitzer brigade. C battery left that brigade on July 21, 1916 and was re-designated D (H)/100 (i.e. D Howitzer battery of 100th Brigade), also in 22nd Division. On June 12, 1917 another transfer saw them become D (H)/114 in 26th Division. His wounding with D/114 in October 1917 confirms he was with the same battery through different designations.

His number of 71588 suggests enlistment and a posting to No. 6 Depot RFA, Glasgow around January 16, 1915. One of many New Army volunteers.

Thank you for the quick reply Kevrow. I have a subscription with Ancestry, so I will check into that a bit closer. I was hoping there wouldn't be too much regiment/brigade swapping, but grateful for your reply.

Mick

Thank you for the welcome David, and the new information. I'm now suffering from information overload, and will have to re-read "Under The Devils Eye" all over again. Should anyone wish to see the original size photo or the individual segments, they can be found here >> http://1drv.ms/1GlWEc6

Mick

Thanks to kevrow and David Porter, I now have a better understanding of my G/F in laws Brigade hopping. I also managed to download from my own Ancestry subscription, the image of the casualty list mentioned earlier. However, on looking at the history of 114 Brigade (CXIV) on the L.L.T., it goes on to say that D Howitzer was removed to 77Brigade in late October. Does this mean that Herbert went to a fourth Brigade , or have I misread it in my confusion ?.

post-123376-0-58281300-1437253499_thumb.

If D/114 Bde later moved to another Brigade this need not be relevant - as once wounded the chances are he was posted to another unit once recovered.. .. IF evacuated from Salonika [that is perhaps a key point..] there is no knowing where he was posted subsequently - assuming he returned to a frontline unit.... [and, it seems, no record for Binny, wounded the same time].. The main thing is that once fit enough to return to duty he could probably expect to join a draft of reinforcements.. sent where required

Mick,

I had spotted that the battery moved on to 77th Brigade RFA. However, as this was so close to the time he was in hospital he may not have returned there. As battiscombe points out, there comes a time when a man is a casualty for a longish period (I think it might be 28 days in a row) he is struck off the strength of his battery. On becoming fit he is returned to a base depot (overseas) or reserve brigade (at home) to await a posting. So, not knowing where he went after being wounded it would be unwise to pursue details of 77th Brigade RFA at this time.

Thank you gentlemen for your insights. This just makes me want to learn more. Looks like I will have to go down the war diary route. ?