Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cambrai and the Bells

Gareth Davies

Who ordered/authorised the ringing of church bells on 21 Nov 17 to celebrate the successes at Cambria the day before?

And did they ring out across the country or just London as Fuller says.

• 2 weeks later...

Another record (81 views and no responses)? Because I am the impatient and demanding type, I am giving this thread a nudge.

I have no idea but if you don't get a reply email/PM me and I'll write to The Ringing World.

Adrian

A similar question was asked on the Scottish War Memorials Project forum a while back, and I dug a few bits out of contemporary Ringing Worlds (all are available in digitised form from the first issue in 1911, now up to 2000, in DVDs covering thirty year periods, so 1911-1940, 1941-1970 and 1971-2000, and don't yet have the last of these which has only been out a month or so, Bell News is also available from the 1890s until it folded in early 1916). There was no mention of any specific order to do so (unlike the lifting of the ringing ban in the Second World War to allow ringing after Al Alamein - but there was no general ringing ban in the First World War).

The thread is here http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic8241.html

I'm afraid I don't often look in this forum, so I'd overlooked your original posting, but the bells bit just happened to catch my eye from the main page just now.

I have no idea but if you don't get a reply email/PM me and I'll write to The Ringing World.

Adrian

Thank you. I think David's link gives me enough to go on for now.

A similar question was asked on the Scottish War Memorials Project forum a while back, and I dug a few bits out of contemporary Ringing Worlds (all are available in digitised form from the first issue in 1911, now up to 2000, in DVDs covering thirty year periods, so 1911-1940, 1941-1970 and 1971-2000, and don't yet have the last of these which has only been out a month or so, Bell News is also available from the 1890s until it folded in early 1916). There was no mention of any specific order to do so (unlike the lifting of the ringing ban in the Second World War to allow ringing after Al Alamein - but there was no general ringing ban in the First World War).

The thread is here http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic8241.html

I'm afraid I don't often look in this forum, so I'd overlooked your original posting, but the bells bit just happened to catch my eye from the main page just now.

Thank you.

Lloyd George in his 'War Memoirs' writes that when "the first news of our great triumph [Cambrai] reached London, the War Office ordered that all the church bells of the metropolis should be set a-ringing." But when the counter-attack occurred, "The Staff who were responsible for the joybells were ashamed to publish the news of the reverse."

So: not Ll.G, not Derby. Ll.G implies I think that Robertson gave this order.

Thanks UG. I wonder if I can narrow it down at the NA.

Of course only the incumbent of a church (or the church wardens in an interregnum) has the power to decide whether or not the bells of a church should be rung. No government "order" would have had any particular effect (but ringers don't usually need much excuse to ring).

Absolutely!

There was often some tension between cloth and ringers, with "goings-on" and tubs of ale in the ringing chamber.

To this day ringers exercise a sturdy independence. They are sometimes the forgotten contributors to divine service, or even regarded as nuisances.

One gets "there go the bell ringers, sneaking out of church just as the service is about to begin!" This despite many of them with multiple towers to serve in quick succession.

At AGMs some priests will run through Thanks: flower ladies, sidesmen, meeters and greeters, the choir ............. but nary a mention of the ringers.

So sturdy independence and a disinclination to "obey" are in the fabric.

In case anyone might think otherwise, bell ringers are not usually paid except for weddings, and then little more than petrol money for several hours away from home. I am not complaining, but this is another reason why "ordering" ringers to do or not do something can fall on stony ground.

Must close, off to ringing practice!