Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank; 2MS

johnboy

I have come across a man in RGA with rank given as 2MS. Anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks.

Johnboy could it be QMS rather than 2MS. If so Quarter Master Sergeant. If not then I've no idea.

Garth

I have come across a man in RGA with rank given as 2MS. Anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks.

Could it be QMS. Q & 2 adjacent to each other on Qwerty keyboard so typio possible.

gem22 beat me to it.

Hello johnboy

When I was at school, that is the way we were taught to write a Q, so I think it must be that.

Ron

Hello johnboy

When I was at school, that is the way we were taught to write a Q, so I think it must be that.

Ron

Was it hard for you writing with a quill!

I'll take it as QMS.

Thanks.

This style of writing a Q often causes confusion with a 2 now. Have seen QMAAC (Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps) transcribed as 2MAAC for same reason

isnt there a page about this in wikipedia?

J.

another rank piont - kerching!

Was it hard for you writing with a quill!

No, we had fountain pens in my day! But we did also have "dip" pens, essentially a nib embedded in a wooden stem, which was only one step up from a quill.

Ron

No, we had fountain pens in my day! But we did also have "dip" pens, essentially a nib embedded in a wooden stem, which was only one step up from a quill.

Ron

And an ink monitor!

The wooden ones were great. Write with them, flick ink with them and use them as darts.

Our ink monitor used to drink the stuff.:-(

From my experience every class had an "ink drinker" but making them ink monitor was a bit daft!

Thanks.

As Quartermaster Sergeant he was at the rank level immediately below the Warrant Officer (then 'Brigade' Sergeant Major - now RSM). His pecking order would depend upon whether he was the Brigade QMS aiding the Quartermaster, who took precedence, or perhaps heading up the Brigade Orderly Room as the senior clerk.