Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Danbury Camp, Pottenhook.

Alan24

Having trouble finding the above location.

Google maps doesn't recognise POTTENHOOK, prehaps it's an older spelling of a Flemish village?

The context puts the location somewhere in the 12 miles between HOUTKERQUE on the French border and CANAL BANK,1 mile North of Ypres...I would have thought.

The 4th Btn Bedfords embused at HOUTKERQUE for Danbury Camp and marched onto CANAL BANK the next day.

Any help grately receieved.

Regards

Alan.

Google maps doesn't recognise POTTENHOOK, prehaps it's an older spelling of a Flemish village?

The context puts the location somewhere in the 12 miles between HOUTKERQUE on the French border and CANAL BANK,1 mile North of Ypres...I would have thought.

The 4th Btn Bedfords embused at HOUTKERQUE for Danbury Camp and marched onto CANAL BANK the next day.

Regards

Alan.

Here it is.

Howard

post-991-0-47640900-1436629042_thumb.jpg

Regards

Alan.

Looks like it is Dambre Farm

Howard

post-991-0-77508100-1436631373_thumb.jpg

Howard & Phil, thanks very much, that seems to be it.

I'm working from a transcript of the war diaries on the excellent site www.bedfordregiment.org.uk by Steve Fuller.

Regards

Alan.

I have now been able to consult the original war diaries, 4th Beds war diary does say "Danbury Camp Pottenhook" but 190th Infantry Brigade war diary says "Dambre Camp, North of Vlamertinghe.

Thanks for sorting this one out for me.

Also to note, on Google Earth, Dambre Farm looks still to exist but there is little sign of the railhead. Judging by the maps above, it must have been a very busy place.

Regards

Alan.