Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A Time Expired Man'

Hedley Malloch

I have seen the term used to describe a soldier who was sent out with the BEF 1914. He was not a serving regular, his time with the colours having expired in 1906. His time a reservist would have expired in 1911, so his 'obligations' as a reservist would have been finished. But he is in the first drafts sent out to France in August.

So on what basis did he participate? Did he have to go? Or did he turn up at the depôt and volunteer for instant re-engagement, an offer which was immediately and gratefully accepted? I know that on mobilisation the BEF was heavily dependent on reservists to make up their numbers and even then some of the regiments were short.

Many thanks for all help received.

Hedley

When did he enlist? Terms of Engagement changed over time and there is the possibility that he was still serving his Reserve commitment. Colour service expiring in 1906 could mean he enlisted in 1903 when the Terms were 3 & 9 (3 Years with the colours and 9 on reserve) which would mean that in 1914 he was still on Army Reserve.

An alternative, if he had completed his full Reserve commitment as part of his initial 12 years service, would be that he chose to extend his Reserve commitment. He could have signed on as a Section D Reservist, for a further four years, I believe.

Regards

Steve

The standard terms of regular Infantry were 12 years with various breakdowns between regular and reserve periods.

I'm 1903 the main enlistment, 20,000+ men or so, where on the 3 and 9. I posted a breakdown from army return in a thread a few days ago. Very few men enlisted on different terms at that time.

Best best is to luck at Paul Nixons site to see when his number was issued.

Craig

Craig and Steve,

Thanks for the response. He enrolled in 1899 on Army Form B-265, short service 7 years with the colours and 5 with the reserves. Left January 1906 (served in the Boer War) - and on one of the first boats out to France in August 1914. So his time would be up in 1911.

Section D reservist could explain it. Would he be paid for this?

Thanks again.

Craig and Steve,

Thanks for the response. He enrolled in 1899 on Army Form B-265, short service 7 years with the colours and 5 with the reserves. Left January 1906 (served in the Boer War) - and on one of the first boats out to France in August 1914. So his time would be up in 1911.

Section D reservist could explain it. Would he be paid for this?

Thanks again.

Section D sounds the most likely - even if he had re-enlisted at the outbreak of war it seems too soon for him to be out on the first boats.

Craig

Craig and Steve,

Thanks a lot.