Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hodge, pte Thomas Henry 13th Bn Kensington London Regt.

Grandson of a Soldier

Hi every body,

this is my first time on a forum like this, so please forgive any failing of etiquette!

My name is Jeremy hodge, my father's name was Alan Hodge who passed away last year, and we never spoke about his fathers time in the great war. He died in 1960 after being a warden in WW2 also.

He was born in 1900, and joined the war effort as soon as he could, we think in 1916-17. I have spent 2 years or more looking for records, but have come up with nothing.

I have pictures of him, wearing his uniform, and have traced from that that he was in the 13th County of London Kensington battalion I think. He lived near Lewisham.

I have a picture of him in what I think is France, and also have a battalion picture potentially including him in Caterham in November 1918. It states "Kensington's Signal Section, Caterham Nov. 1918.

I know it is sketchy without a service number, but any information would be great.

I have 4 or 5 family members who fought in the great war, 2 of which I have found, the rest are a mystery.

Thanks in anticipation.

Welcome.

If you have a picture of him in uniform and showing his cap badge or shoulder title you could post it in 'gallery' on your profile page. You have to have a minimum number of posts on the forum to put it in this thread.

Hi,

I finally worked out how to upload some pictures, so there are 3 in a gallery marked as "Thomas Henry Hodge", my grandfathers full name.

He was born in 1900 in SE London, Deptford/Catford/Greenwich area, son of George James & Elizabeth Hodge.

• Admin

That looks like a Kensington cap badge but my guess is he did not serve in France. There are no candidates in the medal rolls and if he was born in 1900 he may not have served overseas. After the German offensive in MArch 1918 it was decided that men of eighteen and a half could be sent on active service overseas but this lasted just six months or so. He could have legitimately joined a TF unit for Home service at seventeen but direct enlistment to the TF ceased with conscription, though there were exceptions.

There are only two Kensington units he could have served with, either the 1/13th or 3/13th. The 1/13th Bn London Regiment was in France at Rieu de Brey in November 1918, not Caterham; the 2/13th were in the Middle East but the 3/13th a Home Service/reserve unit was in and around Kent and Surrey. In the absence of a service record it's going to be difficult to confirm either way but the group photograph is persuasive.

Ken

Thanks for your information and suggestions Ken. I am not entirely convinced that he is in the Caterham picture, my father has written on the back it could be him!

I have a pendant that my great grandmother wore with a picture of my great grandfather one side and my grandfather, in uniform and supposedly in France, on the other side.

I am currently looking for it and will add the picture to the gallery.

Hi Jeremy

Your grandad was born 28th December, 1899 so he would have been old enough to serve abroad (Post 6, Ken). He was born at 27 Alverton Street, Deptford, Kent.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry, you are correct.

Sorry if I gave anyone a bum-steer, he was indeed born 28 December 1899 and was baptised in Jan 1900, my lack of detail.

He died in November 1960 just before his 61st birthday.

I have just uploaded the pendant picture.

Just to check on protocol, I am also looking for any additional information on my great uncle who fell in France. Should I include it in this thread or on a different thread?

Hi Again

Put it on a new thread and give as much detail as possible, include family if possible. Can't find any trace of Thomas Henry in the MICs.

Regards Barry