Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery

MACRAE

Okay one for you amateur sleuths , Driver t/27980 Edgar Martin ASC deserted ,and joins the Berkshire Regiment and is killed in action 3/5/16 under the name Ernest Moore 18908 , he was one of 7 Brothers , 1 who was deaf threw himself into the river and drowned, because he could not serve with his brothers, 6 brothers then went on to serve 5 was KIA , So why did he desert what did he do , he has a nasty temper was charged with Police Assault and other assaults , i have the chance to buy all there medals , the address i have is 81 Lingfield Road no area in the paper clipping, but below says Oxford Local Examination, so i assume this will be near Oxford , have all the paper work inc copy of letters from his wife to WD asking them to confirm that Moore is her husband, he put down his Mother Mrs Martin as NOK . there is a story behind this i know but what . Its odd Desert one reg to join another ?.

Its odd Desert one reg to join another ?.

My great uncle did - ran from the DLI (just about to go to France) and then enlisted in the SWB just in time for Gallipoli. Not sure whether he ran because he didn't like it or just had second thoughts about going to France.

Craig

The War Gratuity shown on the Soldiers Effects shows he had 12 months service maximum by the time died (any earlier service would be forfeit if he deserted).

His monies were paid to
post-51028-0-40130300-1436211916_thumb.j

Craig

Would be nice to know why,he deserted the ASC to go into the Berkshires . I am convinced by his record for violence that he has committed a major crime, any way its back to the research . Thanks for your help folks .

Dan

Perhaps he thought the ASC was not a sufficiently "fighting" force and wanted to serve in an infantry regiment that would give him more opportunities to avenge his dead brothers more actively?