Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8000 tickets Somme 2016 _ Public Ballot

kenf48

I didn't get an allocation of tickets but my wife did.

I'm hoping she'll take me with her. She'd better, as I've already booked and paid for the ferry and hotel accommodation!

pwtgb

Well I am one of the lucky ones who has been allocated a pair of tickets for the big one, but the problem was that I applied before I started my new job, I now work in a school, and having asked my boss yesterday if I could possibly take the time off around the date (slap bang in the middle of student exams) I got a firm 'no!', so reluctantly I will have to visit the link on the email to cancel my allocation.

So for all those who have received the 'Unfortunately you have not been successful' emails, dont give up hope just yet as I'm sure I wont be the only person having to give up their allocation for many different reasons.

They are 'only' Mocks but I still need to be present unfortunately.

Denied, Probably for the best in all honesty. Might go over in the November now.

All hotels and ferries booked. Now just got to pay for it...........Arrgghh.

I was successful, but may turn them down as I dread to think of the chaos on the day.

My thoughts exactly

Despite using 150 email addresses I failed :( Well two anyway :w00t:

After applying, I was not sure I wanted to go and think it would be better to visit on 26th September 2016.

I am sure plans are in place to make sure it goes off without a hitch. The CWGC day trip may be the one to consider if you are going.

I am sure the lucky ones will have an amazing day.

SM

Only 900 years to wait.

Presumably if one has a ticket some form of special access will be arranged, so there should be a degree of insulation from any general chaos?

It looks that way.

On the form you have to fill in. it asks where your staying (general) and how you're getting there.

In my case i will need parking (which i assume will be allocated) before boarding the shuttle coach/bus to take you to the event.

I only made one application in the spirit of the ballot (I have friends who used seveal addresses and one individual says he made 8 applications ) although he did not tell me how he managed that. I was not lucky in my application but in hindsight not a bad thing because of ongoing health problems I don`t think I would have been able to travel . Andy.

My mate just popped round chuffed with his 2 tickets and managed to get the last two beds in Arras he reckons, I was unsuccessful but Hey Ho in my heart of hearts believe it will be dreary and spoilt by massive security and those wanting TV face time rather than what it's all about. Having to park miles out and bused in, like park and ride would not float my boat.

I hope that people who got and tickets feel that it was a worth while trip and it is properly run including the transport for all, not just for the VIP's.

I didn't apply despite the fact I will be over there at my place in Le Hamel. I "may" go to Lochnegar first thing then escape before it gets invaded or I may jus stay south of the Somme River.

• 2 months later...

Well... after failing at the first attempt, I just got an email saying that I've now been allocated a pair of tickets in the 're' ballot due to cancellation.

Can't be arsed with the hype of the whole thing (shuttle -bus from Albert being one of my only options?... am I not allowed to walk like I normally do if I've not got a car with me???) so I've just cancelled my allocation in the hope that someone who really wants them will get them..... good luck!

Dave

Well despite your turning down of the allocation its good to know that the tickets are now being reallocated but for those who hadnt booked accommodation it seems that the closest available is in northern Germany and southern Spain. Good luck to everyone who missed out in the original allocation. There is hope for you yet.