Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another unfindable, possibly IFCP lad

museumtom

I am of the opinion that this lad may be suitable for IFCP. I reckon he died after discharge but try as I might I cannot find him in the Monaghan casualties, the Monaghan newspapers, nor FMP. Any help or suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

Thanking you most sincerely in advance ( and sorry for being a pain but I would hate to pass him by).

Kind regards.

Tom.

Belfast News Letter. 31/05/1915. Private Joseph McCabe, of the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, and belonging to the Toll Bar, Monaghan, who was wounded in the head has just died. His father and other brothers still reside in the town

I am of the opinion that this lad may be suitable for IFCP. I reckon he died after discharge but try as I might I cannot find him in the Monaghan casualties, the Monaghan newspapers, nor FMP. Any help or suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

Thanking you most sincerely in advance ( and sorry for being a pain but I would hate to pass him by).

Kind regards.

Tom.

Belfast News Letter. 31/05/1915. Private Joseph McCabe, of the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Fusiliers, and belonging to the Toll Bar, Monaghan, who was wounded in the head has just died. His father and other brothers still reside in the town

Any idea what the father was called ?

There's a 'John' McCabe killed 10 May 15 , #5463 RIF

Name: John McCabe

Birth Place: Coatbridge, Lanark

Residence: Bessbrook, Co. Armagh

Death Date: 10 May 1915

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Newry, Co. Down

Regiment: Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers)

Battalion: 2nd Battalion

Regimental Number: 5463

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Not sure it's the right man though.

Craig

Great minds and all that. He was the first one I considered, but he has no Monaghan connection and is on the Menin Gate.

Sorry Craig. I appreciate your help!

I'd be concerned about the complete lack of anything obvious for him - I'd image that the surname is wrong but hard to say for certain.

Craig

Thanks lads. The snippet says the Toll Gate, Monaghan, so I reckon it is Monaghan Town itself.

Tom.

You posted Toll Bar, but it seems to be in the town.

You could try BMD if they cover Monaghan?

I did wonder, as he had a head wound, and looks like he died after discharge (a guess) he may have an S.W.B.?

2 RIF deployed from Quetta in 1914 - worth checking the 1911 census and seeing if he's with them then?

4696868689805312.png?k=hm0h32mB6MrWoAJh-

Can't get round the Menin Gate listing but might this be the family in Armagh in 1911?

4721187734159360.png?k=SdDxWi2qolcWZ_QIK

Thanks Craig and Simon, we did consider John McCabe, but discounted him as he is on the Menin Gate Memorial and has a different first name.

Thanks for all your help lads.

Kind regards.

Tom.

There does not appear to be a Joseph on the posted census. Perhaps he was already with the army?

The CWGC entry would mean that if he had a grave it had been lost.

#5463 was born in COATBRIDGE, LANARK according to SDGW so not sure he's the same man as on the census in post #14.

Craig

His father and other brothers still reside in the town

Perhaps a look for the mothers death before May 1915?

His father and other brothers still reside in the town

Perhaps a look for the mothers death before May 1915?

Not much but might cut down the possibilities:

Making a couple of assumptions for the mother - date of birth between 1850 & 1880 and died between 1910 and 1915 gives 3 possibles for Monaghan - Mary (b 1854), Roseanne (b 1853) and Margaret (b 1875).

EDIT: Nothing obvious for the three above

Going back a few years:

1900-1909

Ellen (b 1853),

post-51028-0-63031500-1436086046_thumb.j

Craig

Thanks lads. You gotta love this lateral thinking, well done. I had not considered that. It just might work. Something might give us a spark that gels it all together.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thanks lads. You gotta love this lateral thinking, well done. I had not considered that. It just might work. Something might give us a spark that gels it all together.

Kind regards.

Tom.

You've picked a good one this time Tom (and it gets my head away from my work on War Gratuities for a few minutes)

Craig

#5463 was born in COATBRIDGE, LANARK according to SDGW so not sure he's the same man as on the census in post #14.

Craig

Census man is born Scotland though. ..

Census man is born Scotland though. ..

Next time I'll look at the right man on the census :thumbsup:

Craig

I think we should take the man on Menin Gate and try to positively discount him. Try and whittle them down one by one.

We have a date of death which could fit. It seems that as only father is mentioned that his mother has died previously. He has brothers listed.

Given his age ,25yrs in 1915 gives an aprox dob of 1890. Could he have been a regular.? The John Francis shown on census fits his age.

He could have been named John but went by Joseph or Joe.

#5463's father was Michael as per the Soldiers Effects , also had a brother called Michael.

The service number would be suggestive of an 1895-96 enlistment - armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/royal-irish-fusiliers-1st-2nd.html - so possibly a regular (if he'd re-enlisted at the start of the war he'd have a new number). This would in theory rule him out of being the man on the 1911 census.

Craig