Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin 11 Presumed sunk 14th April 1917-108538

kathleen donaldson

I have come across a report in the Liverpool Echo dated 27th April 1917

SIXTEEN YEAR OLD MINE VICTIM

Wireless-operator David Falconer younger son of the late Inspector Falconer, of Southport Police Force, has been drowned at sea, the vessel on which he was employed being sunk by mine. He was sixteen years of age and had previously made a voyage to Australia with wounded soldiers. He received his training at Liverpool.

There is no entry on CWGC for David Falconer nor is there any entries for the following:-

James Gardner-Master

Henry Waddington Johnson-Mate

James William Altoft?- Engineer

Harry Arthur Stroud

Henry Tanner B'sun

Charles Thomas B Bradbury-Signalman

John Saunders-AB

William Henry Parnham-AB

Herbert Mathers-Stoker

Arthur Royal-Stoker

Leonard John Shanahan (commonly known as Shannon)-Steward

D.S. Falconer-Wireless-operator.

I need to establish if this vessel was sunk by a mine, any ideas what records I need to access.

Hi

I have this research on him so far, re Southport War Memorial

David Stuart FALCONER

Wireless Operator

Merchant Navy

Died at sea

David was born in Southport in 1900 to David and Eliza Jane Falconer of 12, Cable Street, Southport and later of Coronation Walk, Southport. He was the younger brother of John Falconer, also commemorated on the memorial. His father, who predeceased him, was an Inspector in the Southport Police. He attended Christ Church Day School and was later educated at Manchester Road Grammar School.

A chorister at Christ Church, David joined the Merchant Navy and was killed at 16 years of age when the vessel he was on struck a mine and sank.

He is commemorated on the memorials at Holy Trinity Church and Christ Church, Southport.

His name does not appear on the Tower Hill Memorial. His mother later remarried, changing her surname to Rundle, and resided at ‘Densmere’, 133, Windsor Road, Torquay.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graham, If we can establish that this ship was sunk by a mine we may be able to put all those who lost their lives as a Cold case for IFTC project.

Hull Daily Mail 24th October 1917

SEQUEL IN HIGH COURT TO-DAY

LONDON, -Wednesday. In the Probate Court, to-day, Justice Horridge granted leave to presume the death as having occurred on or since April 14th last of Henry Tanner, bo'sun on the steam carrier Martin 11., of Hull. The vessel was employed by the Government, and left Ymuiden (Holland) on the date mentioned and presumably was sunk with all hands after a collision.