Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died/killed in U/K return of bodies to NoK.

jeffdanward

Where there any formal arrangements for the return of the bodies of military personnel who died in the UK to their families.? Such as wounded soldiers from the Western Front returned to the UK and subsequently died. Or were killed in training accidents ,even died of illness. Every now and then I come across the grave of a serviceman in his local churchyard who I know died elsewhere in the the UK. Frequently with a private gravestone. Others I know were buried close to where they died. Was there a choice? or where they brought home at the expense of the NoK . Jeff Ward

This subject has been discussed before. I can't remember the titles so won't search for them!

If a man died in the UK, away from his home address, his nok could bury him wherever, provided that they met the costs.

Remember too that the IWGC was not formed until May 1917.

Ron

johnboy is right; and conversely if the family (or anyone else) couldn't pay for transporting & burying the body, the Army/Navy saw to his burial usually at the nearest convenient cemetery / churchyard to where he died.

Clive

Thanks for help, I had a feeling I might be raking over old ground. Regards Jeff.

My G/U died in a military hospital in Seaforth, Liverpool in March 1916. The family paid to have him buried in Heywood near Bury.

His grave stone is a CWGC