Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Robert Adam 4698 Black Watch

alistair_m

Hi all,

Researching the above for a friend.

The info I have so far is that he was originally from Dundee. Fought at Mons and may have at one stage been a Lance Corporal.

Ive found the 1914-15 Star entry in the Medal Rools from Ancestry, but not a lot else.

Many thanks again in anticipation.

Alistair

Unlikely to have been at the "Battle of Mons" as he didn't arrive in France till 01/10/1915, according to his mic.

No obvious Royal Highlanders Battalion landed France for that date so probably a reinforcement.

Renumbered 201291 and disembodied 22/3/1919

His mic also states A/Sjt.

Hello Alistair

There are two meal roll entries in ancestry (1914-15 Star + BWM & Victory Medal).

Robert Adam was originally in 1/4 (Dundee TF) Black Watch, then in 4/5 Black Watch.

He appears as wounded in the Daily Casualty Lists of 23 Aug 1916 and 16 November 1916 (as Corporal). (genealogist)

According to the Dundee Courier of 11 August 1916, he got an MM

The Dundee Courier of 23 August 1916 records hum as wounded and his home as Port Erroll.

However two other lists say he came from Dundee.

As said above your lad was in the 4th and the 4/5th Black Watch,he received his MM for a raid on trenches near La Bassee Canal on the 17th of July 1916 and Gazetted 8th August 1916.

The P & J has his mother at Bankhead Farm Forteviot but does say that Robert used to be a ploughman in the Dundee district to which he belongs.His age is given as 22.

Gary

There is a Robert Adam aged 17 in Lundie & Fowlis parish in the 1911 census?

Gentlemen,

Yet again, you've amazed me with the speed and relevance of your replies. I've managed to download a copy of the 4th/5th Black Watch War Diaries and found some of the most amazing detail I've ever read in War Diaries. Some twenty pages given over to the action of 16 June 1916 at La Bassee, when Robert Adam was awarded the MM for some fairly gruesome action with the bayonet. As a result, I've pinpointed the location of his action and managed to build a very clear picture of the assault and the run up to it. I'm now busy reading through the action at the Ancre Valley on 3rd September which again has produced the most dramatic picture of heroism and tragedy.

Many thanks, and if I can be of any use, sharing my new knowledge of the Battalion Diaries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Alistair