Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Military Transport Units in Macedonia 1915-1918

bushfighter

Should any Member be interested in the activities of the Indian mule-cart units that were employed as Army Troops (deployed on the orders of the British Headquarters and not by Corps, Divisions or Brigades) primarily in the British sectors in the Macedonian theatre, then please glance at this article:

http://www.kaiserscross.com/304501/534401.html

The efforts of these lads deserve more recognition.

Harry

Thanks Harry for another interesting article. I had been unaware that Indian Mule Corps served in the Macedonian theatre.

Cheers

Maureen

• 2 months later...

Dear GWFs,

I was pleased to see Lieut. G. B. Roger, IARO, mentioned in the article (good work, Harry!), as having been appointed 31 Mule Corps on Mudros in 1916 preparatory to embarking for Salonika.

I hold his medals and am researching his life. 1914-15 Star (LIEUT. G. B. ROGER, I.A.R.O.); BWM (CAPT.); Victory (CAPT.).

He was promoted Captain during the campaign but was eventually invalided in 1918 suffering from cerebral meningitis, from which it took him years to recover - having been awarded a disability pension. He died in Aberdeen on 19 April 1963.

Interestingly, he (from Glasgow) signed his name G. Bennett Roger, and had been an Assistant at the Rangoon emporium, Rowe & Co., pre-war. He had previously been a Volunteer with the HLI militia, and in Rangoon, joined the Electrical Engineers of the Port Defence Artillery.

On 2 August 1921, he was awarded the Vol LS medal, which is impressed around the entire rim: CAPT. G. BENNETT ROGER, 3 (RANGOON PORT DEFENCE) GROUP GARR. ARTY. I.D.F.

The Indian Defence Force was short-lived, therefore such medals are perhaps scarce, certainly with such naming!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Come to think of it, does anyone have a group photograph of 31 Mule Corps officers? Or even a portrait of G. B. Roger?

Kim.