Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps, 7th Battalion

MacM

Does anyone have a transcript or similar of the war diary of the 7th Battalion, Tank Corps, for April 1918?

Neither the NA or Naval & Military Archive seem to have them online yet.

Thanks Mark, I'll try them. Their site says they have most diaries for WWII, but I couldn't see a reference to WWI

Thanks Mark, I'll try them. Their site says they have most diaries for WWII, but I couldn't see a reference to WWI

Sorry, I can't help with that specific, but they are always a try.

Mark

If you are after a specific entry I can help you.

Thanks Gareth

I'm specifically looking for 12-14 April 1918 - where they were, what they were doing, any mention of casualties (numbers or names).

The Bn was at Bouvigny

The WD entries for 12 - 14 Apr 18:

12 Apr - Received orders to provide 36 Lewis gun groups for XI Corps.

13 Apr - Groups in position at 3 am. Line taken up between CANAL DE LA LYS and NOC River, running through P6 Central, P12 Central, P18 Central and P24 Central (Sheet 36A). Had seven men killed and a few wounded by shell fire.

14 Apr - Tanks moved up as follows: A Coy by road to E20b 30.50 Sheet 36B; B Coy by train to U16b 2.9 Sheet 36A; C Coy by train to H30c 1.2 Sheet 36A.

The Bn history states

"To strengthen the line near Roclincourt during the night of March 28th and the following day, a detachment of the Battalion was sent up as an infantry Lewis gun unit; and to fill a breach during April 10th and 11th a similar detachment was sent into the line in front of Merville. The enemy broke through at Merville, and on the 12th a third detachment was sent to strengthen the new line running between Colonne and Robecq, upon which the enemy was held. Casualties in these actions numbered two officers killed, two wounded, and one captured; and of other ranks nine killed, eighteen wounded, and ten missing."

I have had a look at the Book of Honour and the following immediate awards were made for actions in that period:

Capt C R Burton MC (for actions on 12 Apr)

Pte W Benzie MM (for actions on 12 Apr)

Sgt G W Bannister MM (for actions on 12 Apr)

• 5 months later...

The soldier below was kia on the 2/3rd - would the circumstances be similar??

Simon

Lance-Corporal Alfred Thomas Chandler 201449 7th Battalion Tank Corps; ‘B’ Coy

Born 1892 son of Alfred and Eliza nee Summers who married in 1890, and who lived at Milton Villas, Church Road, Yardley, 37 Church Road, Summerfield by 1901. A clerk living in household of maternal grandmother Sarah Summers; Eliza Chandler widowed

Killled in action 02/04/1918; soldier's effects has 3rd.

FOSSE NO.10 COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION, SAINS-EN-GOHELLE

III,B, 14

Parent: Mrs. Eliza Chandler, of 25, Lloyd St., Small Heath, Birmingham