Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was at K61.5

Gardenerbill

My Grandfather's MT company (801st) were making regular rations, stores and road material drops at K61.5 on the Seres road, anyone know what was there winter 1916-17?

Hi

My grandfather was there - I'm pleased he was fed!

He was in the 32nd Field Ambulance who were there (war diary says kilo 61 3/4 at BASKOJ) from 10-25th October and then again 2nd November-22nd January.

Seems also 29th Brigade of 10th Irish Division from the following extracts from Midwinter's Memoires of the 32nd Field Ambulance:

On 9th October, we left the village of Sakavka, returned to Kilo 61 and bivouaced there on the 10th.

The Crown Prince of Serbia visited the area on the 12th. On the 25th it was decided that we should have more exercise, so we moved from Kilo 61 to Kilo 71.

"B" and "C" Sections returned to Kilo 71 on 1st November, and on the 3rd "A" Section rejoined them there. The following day we went back to Kilo 61 for duty with the 29th Infantry Brigade, and here we spent our Christmas. The weather was cold and wet and there were frequent falls of snow. Work proceeded along ordinary camp lines, members of the Field Ambulance on duty with the A.S.C. being daily employed on grooming and feeding mules and fetching up rations by pack-mule train.

In cold raw weather on the 22nd January, 1917, we moved down the Serres road to Kilo 50, where we cleared snow and pitched a camp which we were to occupy until the 7th April.

Andy

• 2 years later...