Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2398/200736 Pte Bertram Percival Bowles, 1st/4th Battalion Devonshire

lascamelias

I'm researching this casualty of WW1, died 16 April 1918 age 24 in Mesopotamia. On the register of soldier's effects is a little note that says 9th Secunderabad. 4 casualties on the same sheet all died in either March or April 1918. I've got as far as finding that this Bn were in Mesopotamia from March 1916 for the remainder of the war.

Can anyone give me any more information about what was happening in March/April 1918? Is there any way of finding out how Bertram died?

Thank you

• Admin

Pte Bertram P. Bowles death was reported in the Western Times 14 May 1918. (FMP).

He was killed by an explosion on a train on which he was a guard. Prior to joining up he was on the L&SWR. The newspaper reported he had been in Mesopatamia for four years, which is inaccurate as the Battalion first deployed to India. As this was not a theatre of war they were not entitled to the 14-15 Star, just the BWM but when they went to Mesopatamia their entitlement included the Victory Medal.

It does indicate he was in the original draft with the main body of the 1/4 Devonshire Regiment. At the time of his death the Battalion was employed as HQ Line of Communication Troops, essentially guarding key installations, road building etc. Difficult to say whether he was just working on trains during this period or with his civilian experience had been so employed for longer. Men were often 'attached' to other units in theatre.

There is a report of his marriage on 28 September 1914 which was attended by his comrades from the Territorials who were 'under orders for India'.

Secunderabad is in India, typically injured soldiers were evacuated from Mesopatamia through Basra to India. There is a war diary for this period but it's not been digitised. If you're local The Keep (regimental Museum) may have a copy but if he was attached to the railway it may not help. The Keep has a brief history of the Batalion on their site, but I'm having a few computer problems tonight so can't give the link.

As he died in hospital it's likely his death certificate will give cause of death, though it may not take you much further, it appears he was not killed outright.

Ken

Ken,

Thank you so much for taking the time to scour newspapers and send me all that information. I am truly appreciative. I will take a look at The Keep to see if they have anything more.

You are a star!

LC

Ken, is it just me being a bit thick, but if Pte Bowles was serving in Mesopotamia, and was evacuated to a Military Hospital in Secunderabad India, how is it he buried in Baghdad Iraq?

LC

• Admin

Ken, is it just me being a bit thick, but if Pte Bowles was serving in Mesopotamia, and was evacuated to a Military Hospital in Secunderabad India, how is it he buried in Baghdad Iraq?

LC

Not at all my mistake I read the entry in soldier's effects wrong.

No hospital or place of death is shown though it was in theatre. Secunderabad was the Depot for pay purposes.

Ken