Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max Einstein, Schütze, Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Abteilung Nr. 77

ph0ebus

Hi all,

I also learned of Max's relation to me today; Max Einstein was born 18 Jul 1896 in Laupheim, Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. His rank was "Schütze" (Gunner?), attached to Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Abteilung Nr. 77, which was a part of the 243rd Infantry Division.

Max appears only once in the Verlustlisten, here:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/6471969

It was published post-war and simply lists him as missing. I checked the ICRC database, and was happy to find a card for him there:

C_G1_D_15_01_0261_0231_0.JPG

Sadly, this appears to be all they have on Max (unless I am missing something?). I am assuming he has a card because some relation made an inquiry as to his whereabouts, but for some reason, the card gives no information about any such inquiry.

I found the following snippet about the 243rd Infantry Division during this period in 'Histories':

post-32240-0-42317300-1434411173_thumb.j

I checked the relevant wiki to see where Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Abteilung Nr. 77 was on the 22nd of August, and found they were engaged in the Battle of Albert, which was part of the Hundred Days Offensive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Albert_%281918%29

I find no other traces of him, so I can only assume he died during that battle and has no known grave.

May main question relates to his rank and unit...what kind of unit was this, and what would his role have been? Google says they were a Machine Gun/Sharpshooter detachment, so should I be assuming he was a machine gunner or some sort of sniper?

-Daniel

Max appears on the Great War memorial in the Jewish Cemetery in Laupheim (his is the last name):

Laupheim%20Friedhof09.jpg

Hello,

I have a very rare Ehrentafel der Maschinengewehrformation etc. der Kgl. Württ. Armee. I can find Max Einstein in the 1st Company, MGSSA 77:

Einstein, Max, schütze, geb. 19.7.96 Laupheim, verm. seit 22.8.18 Carnoy, Albert, Frankr., gerichtlich für tot erklärt.

Regards,

Jan

I also learned of Max's relation to me today; Max Einstein was born 18 Jul 1896 in Laupheim, Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. His rank was "Schütze" (Gunner?), attached to Maschinengewehr-Scharfschützen-Abteilung Nr. 77, which was a part of the 243rd Infantry Division.

Schütze was the normal rank title for a private in machine-gun units, including MG companies of infantry regiments. I'm no expert on the Royal Württemberg Army (apart from the three mixed Saxon / Württemberg divisions), but as a rule MG-Scharfschützen units were higher level assets which were not 'permanently' attached to divisions. It looks like 243.ID was equipped with an MGSSA and a Fussartillerie-Bataillon for its role as an 'attack division' in early 1918; I don't know whether they were still attached at the end of the war.

My main question relates to his rank and unit...what kind of unit was this, and what would his role have been? Google says they were a Machine Gun/Sharpshooter detachment, so should I be assuming he was a machine gunner or some sort of sniper?

MG-Scharfschützen were crack machine-gunners (armed with the heavy MG08) who were first used in 1916 to enhance the defensive firepower of threatened sectors; typically they formed a 'stop line' to defend the artillery zone.

Could this be a photo of Max?

The man in your photo appears to be an unteroffizier, so it seems unlikely unless the casualty records are in error or Herr Einstein somehow got himself busted down to private.

Hi Andi,

I agree with your assessment of the photo; I also realized in my haste and enthusiasm to post it that the middle initial does not line up with 'my' Max, so likely another fellow with the same name. Your details about the unit he was attached to are quite helpful!

Jan, that source seems to confirm that he fell in the Battle of Albert, as I suspected. Outstanding!

Thanks, everyone! I will continue to look into him and will post any additional findings here.

-Daniel

I agree with your assessment of the photo; I also realized in my haste and enthusiasm to post it that the middle initial does not line up with 'my' Max, so likely another fellow with the same name. Your details about the unit he was attached to are quite helpful!

My pleasure. To be a bit more specific, an MG-Scharfschützen-Trupp was effectively an independent MG company (under direct OHL control as a strategic 'MG reserve'). A large number of these were formed in the first half of 1916, which were then grouped together in threes that autumn to form MG-Scharfschützen-Abteilungen (battalions).

This is the entirety of Saxon MG-Scharfschützen-Trupp Nr.196 at Zeithain, prior to their deployment on the Somme that summer with XIX. Armeekorps. Note the handcarts for the guns (six as per combat establishment plus one spare) and ammunition, the bicycle messengers and the obvious pride with which all display their sleeve insignia:

post-24563-0-32965600-1434462442_thumb.j

post-24563-0-22403000-1434462792_thumb.j

I have figured out that the Max Einstein in the photo above, while not the man this thread is about, is in fact a relative on this Max. The man pictured, Max D. Einstein was born on August 27, 1878 and the little girl in the photo is his daughter Klara born in 1913.

-Daniel