Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My website for 801st MT Coy ASC

Gardenerbill

Kim,

Do you have a copy of Michael Young's ASC book? If not I have and can look up 1024 Coy when I get home and post what I find.

Incidentally escuse my ignorance but what is IARO?

Dear Mark,

You are worth your weight in the gold that would fit into a Ford Van!

Yes, please look up details of 1024 (Burma) MT Coy RASC in the Michael Young ASC book: that would be much appreciated.

1023 and 1024 were officered and NCOs and men recruited from Burma. Certainly most, if not all, of the officers were Burma Hands and commissioned into the Indian Army Reserve of Officers (IARO) and attached ASC/RASC.

Lt Patrick John (also seen as John Patrick) O'Shea (attached No. 2 Ford Van Company of 1024, as was Lt C. F. Pyett, who got the MC, and 050441 Driver Kui Maung, the IDSM) had been a Volunteer, spoke Hindustani, and was a Representative of Alexander, Young & Co., Motor Exporters, Rangoon.

Now all I need is an officers group photo of 1024 MT Coy circa 1918-20...!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear Mark,

Super! All highly interesting, thank you.

The Colonel Leland book "With the MT in Mesopotamia" helpfully lists Lt O'Shea together with other officers of 1024 (Burmah) Coy: Persia 1918.

However, the unit really got into its stride in the following 1919-20 Kurdistan and Iraq campaign efforts, not covered by Leland.

Having said that, I am really pleased to have found that entry, particularly showing O'Shea juxtaposed with Lt C. F. Pyett (MC).

Ditto the 6 Sep 1918 London Gazette IARO commission for Patrick John O'Shea (1 Feb 1918), on page 10561, which Felicity kindly beamed to me.

The IARO book, held at the British library, confusingly shows him as John Patrick O'Shea...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

From Michael Young's book:

1024 Formed 11th October 1917 Disbanded November 1919 Theatre/Order of Battle Mesopotamia, Army Troops Persia Role in First World War Supply Column (Light vans) No 2 Burmese MT Coy WO95 5008

Unit sign Peacock.

Dear Mark,

Well done! Many thanks.

I can put my TNA researcher on to that straightaway. Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kim,

The 1024 are mentioned in the chapter on Mesopotamia in Michael Young's book. if you PM me your email address I can scan the page and send it to you.

Have you got 'With the MT in Mesopotamia' if not I would highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Mechanical Transport during WW1.

Dear Mark,

Have already beamed you a PM. Super!

Your continued interest is most appreciated, indeed.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to Keith's (Rockdoc) in depth knowledge of the Anti Aircraft Sections in Salonika, I have been able to put together a detailed Anti Aircraft page on my websie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done Mark, fantastic job on what is an under represented Corps.

Just one observation, why is your copyright 2023?

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Manipled Mutineer said:

Excellent site, Mark. The page on 143 AT Coy was of particular interest as I am researchinga chap who was attached to them for a time.

Thank you, I am glad you liked it.

• spof changed the title to My website for 801st MT Coy ASC