Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My website for 801st MT Coy ASC

Gardenerbill

Dear Mark (aka Gardnerbill),

I applaud the clarity of your website: well done!

Needless to say, I found the research regarding the vigorous Commanding Officer, with portrait, especially interesting, and was amazed that he should have died at such a relatively young age.

Personally, I would have written it all in the Past Tense - especially as it happened a hundred years or so ago, but you are the boss...

The ASC was, most unfairly, much looked down upon: moreover, Salonika was the Sideshow to end all Sideshows.

Therefore, many thanks for putting 801 MT Coy on the map!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

Algernon3 and Kim,

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, it is good to know that my efforts are appreciated.

Mark

PS More to come.

Enjoyed the website - I have a distant relative who fought in the Campaign with The Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

I have just published a page on the XVI Corps Cyclists. The information came from an article in the 'New Mosquito' magazine of the Salonika Campaign Society, but it doesn't cover the advance into Bulgaria, hence my next post.......

On the subject of past versus present tense, for academic work one would use past tense, on my website I am trying to make it a narrative and in doing so may have fallen between two stools:

'In April 1917 the 801st start supplying the 143rd AT Coy RE'

Or

'In April 1917 the 801st were supplying the 143rd AT Coy RE'

I may review this at some point?

What do forum members think? As always I value your opinion.

Dear Mark,

Although I have already commented, en passant - I was glad that you raised the subject of past tense, contra present tense, again.

As I see it, this business of relating something that happened ages ago in the present tense, to pep it up, make it more exciting or immediate, is an Americanism.

I feel sure that my Headmaster (Cranbrook School, but Bellevue Hill, Sydney - not Kent) would not have approved. Moreover, surely past tense is not only the domain of something academic. Quite apart from the fact that the collective efforts of the GWF could be classed as being in the academic sphere of things...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Brief profiles added to the Lieutenants page for Lieutenants N. J. D. Martyn and W. W. Waithman. I hope to add more detail to these profiles in the future when time allows.

Mark

A nice simple layout for your site makes it easy to find the information.

I am not keen on the light text on the green background to be honest - black text on a light background is always more readable. This website discusses the issue:-

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200608/light_text_on_dark_background_vs_readability/

The white text on the Home page does tend to 'disappear' into the photograph where the background is light as well - as it is in parts on the lower left hand side.

Best wishes developing your site.

Neil

Neil,

I take your point about the home page, it's a photoshopped image so I may change that. All the text is large font on a light back ground not white on black, it would take some time now to change it all and would change the look and feel of the site. I will certainly think about it though. I notice on the site you linked to the text is in a seriffed font (new times roman or similar) ironically these fonts have been shown to be more difficult to read than unseriffed fonts such as arial, particularly on small screens. I notice that Google have changed their logo to a a font with no serifs for exacltly the same reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great site. Having just published a book on military motorcycling I am intrigued by your Triumph motorcycle which seems to display the first example I have seen of some sort of Screen or even map holder? above the handlebars. The Brodie helmet on the rack would make it a later photo after photography was banned, but he appears to be wearing a camera. Do you have any further information about the photo or the man in it.

PS. WARBIKE: British Military Motorcycling 1899-1919 is now available via http://militarymc.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi old_timer,

sorry I can't tell you anything other than I copied it from a thread on this site:

Triumph

PS your book looks interesting I might just get myself a copy.

Nice site, I enjoyed your hard work. I did not know the Americans supplied so many trucks for the British Army.

Gene

Nice site, I enjoyed your hard work. I did not know the Americans supplied so many trucks for the British Army.

Gene

Gene,

Thank you it is always good to know that your efforts are appreciated. I too was surprised at the number of vehicles supplied by the US, in addition to the trucks mentioned on my website Ford supplied a large number of vans, I have come across British Motor Transport companies in Mesopotamia and in Salonika that used exclusively Ford vans for supply.

• 2 weeks later...

I have added the 1918 page to campaign (up to Bugarian armistice) this page is written in past tense, I am coming round to the idea that it reads better. Let me know what you think.

Dear Mark,

Good work, bringing us all up to 1918.

Apropos work: it works better in past tense!

I am particularly alive to the problems of the MT Coys inasmuch as I am currently researching Lt Patrick John (irritatingly also shown as John Patrick) O'Shea, IARO.

He was attached 1024 (Burma) Coy RASC in Kurdistan, 1919 - No. 2 Ford Van Company.

A brother-officer, Lt C. F. Pyett, IARO, got the MC...

Kindest regards,

Kim.