Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
midshipmanrayley

Zouch Austin Turton Lieut. 2nd Batt. East Yorkshire Regt.

midshipmanrayley

Zouch Austin Turton 1886-1915 serving as Lieutenant 2nd Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment, 28th Division, was killed in action near Ypres 23rd April 1915.

The son of Reverend Zouch Horace Turton he originally joined the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment as supernumerary 2nd lieutenant on 10th May 1905 with the intention of entering the regular army but was unable due to poor health.

De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour has some interesting biographical details.

Can any member please guide me as to what exactly was required health wise by the army? I assume eyesight would be the biggest cause of failure.

Also how is "Zouch" pronounced? Assume similar to Ashby de la Zouch.

ATNOMIS

Looks like he lost his brother

Richard Dacre Turton

ATNOMIS

as in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

clk

Hi John,

Medical categories appear to be shown on the webpage http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/MedicalCategories.html. I suspect that there would have been something similar to "Regulations for Army Medical Services" as per the 1894 example http://wellcomelibrary.org/player/b20408262#?asi=0&ai=124&z=0.0388%2C0.1261%2C0.8347%2C0.4399 to better determine which category a man fell into. I also presume that the regulations were "relaxed" the longer that the war went on. Hopefully, someone will be able to post better references than me.

Regards

Chris

ATNOMIS

I say money and money and connections would have helped. Turning a blind eye. No pun

midshipmanrayley

Many thanks Chris and Atnomis.