Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help please?

Guest rabb

I wonder could anybody please give me an explanation on the enclosed medal card index belonging to my wife's great grand-father Andrew White who was in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Apparently he also won the Military Medal and Military Cross within a day or so of each other which we've been told would have been quite rare to happen - unfortunately no-one in the family knows the whereabouts of the medals.

I have found a record in the London Gazette issue 29824 published 14th Nov 1916 [ page 35 of 72 ] which reads:

16093 Coy Sjt-Maj Andrew White, R Innis Fus

"For conspicuous and consistent gallantry on several occasions. He set a fine example of cool courage during the heavy bombardment of our trenches, and rallied and led on parties of men who had been shaken by severe fire. He has always displayed great coolness under fire."

I don't really know what this relates to - any help in understanding would be greatly appreciated or an idea on how I could find any further info on this gentleman.

post-31-1100289604.jpg

It sounds like an MC,If you click back the Pages on the Citation Gazette,until you find the "Preamble" it will indicate the Medal or Decoration the "Gazette" Promulgation that names him; :) mentions

Your Index Card States he was awarded the 1914~15 Star,British War Medal & Allied Victory Medal,He served with the Royal Inniskilling Fusilers,in France,{1};as Company Sergeant Major {C.S.M.} from 5th October 1915 and was Discharged on Demobilisation to Class "Z" Reserve.

Gallantry Awards are not normally included on these Cards they are filed on Seperate Cards {Not online @ present}

Many thanks for the information Harry.

I was also wondering why on the index card there is a second Corps listed - is this the Royal Irish Fusiliers and would it mean at some stage he would have joined another division?

Also, is it possible to trace further information on a soldier from his reg. no?

Apologies if these questions sound silly, but I'm new to this and have a lot to learn! :)

Robert

Definitely the right abbreviation for Royal Irish Fusiliers.

Des