Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Location and Guide to Trench Maps Online - Fantatstic

MartH

Excellent.

Trench maps have been freely available on the National Library of Scotland website for some time now.

There are 321 maps on the NLS, hardly a full set, and other sites like McMaster University might have even been around longer. I do agree the site should be in the AWM's document.

Well yes, you're right there.

What I live about the NLS site is that you can overlay their trench maps on to modern day maps using their own website facility. Or compare them side by side if you wish.

It seems that most countries put us to shame where documentation is concerned. It's all about the money here isn't it and we seem to have to pay for everything.

It's a particular bugbear of mine.

Treasure Island...

Yes.... Australia, USA (see above), Canada (McMaster) and Scotland can make these resources available.......but the English....???

regards

Tom

Yes.... Australia, Usa (see above), Canada (McMaster) and Scotland can make these resources available.......but the English....???

regards

Tom

It's actually even worse I think the McMaster Collection was formed on the purchase of Peter Chasseaud's collection. Does anyone know if that is correct?

I know and have copy of: E.M. Jack, Report on survey on the Western Front, 1914-1918 (London: HMSO, 1920). does anyone know if Great Britain War Office, General Staff, Maps and artillery boards (London: HMSO, 1918) is substantially different from this.http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015062991867;view=1up;seq=1

Hi MartH,

I know and have copy of: E.M. Jack, Report on survey on the Western Front, 1914-1918 (London: HMSO, 1920). does anyone know if Great Britain War Office, General Staff, Maps and artillery boards (London: HMSO, 1918) is substantially different from this.http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015062991867;view=1up;seq=1

I'm not quite sure if this is helpful, and for some reason I only seem to be able to post a hyperlink to the webpage rather than specific documents, but from http://www.defencesurveyors.org.uk/ if you click on the tab "Historic" at the top of the page, then on "WW1" on the page that subsequently appears, there are further links to documents that I hope might be of some use, or interest.

Regards

Chris

That's excellent Chris, many thanks for the link to the Defence Surveyors Association website. I had no idea it existed.

Well yes, you're right there.

What I live about the NLS site is that you can overlay their trench maps on to modern day maps using their own website facility. Or compare them side by side if you wish.

It seems that most countries put us to shame where documentation is concerned. It's all about the money here isn't it and we seem to have to pay for everything.

It's a particular bugbear of mine.

Treasure Island...

Not quite as idealistic as you suggest. The maps cannot be downloaded unless you make a payment.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I don't want to download them. I just use the overlay facility to satisfy my curiosity and locate where a man have have been buried in relation to the maps of today. Or maybe I want to know where a particular trench is located.
If I really need a copy I could do a screen grab of a small section, but I only usually do that for personal information purposes anyway.

Hi MartH,

I'm not quite sure if this is helpful, and for some reason I only seem to be able to post a hyperlink to the webpage rather than specific documents, but from http://www.defencesurveyors.org.uk/ if you click on the tab "Historic" at the top of the page, then on "WW1" on the page that subsequently appears, there are further links to documents that I hope might be of some use, or interest.

Regards

Chris

Chris thanks for this, it displays the same version as I referenced, the 1916, not the 1916

Hi MartH,

Regards

Chris

The whole scanned report and an OCR'd version are included on the WFA Mapping the Front DVDs.

Howard

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite as idealistic as you suggest. The maps cannot be downloaded unless you make a payment.

Kevin

At least they make the maps available which is more than you can say about "south of the border"....

And as stated above...a screen "snip" can save the piece of map or overlay you're interested in...

regards

Tom