Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with map reference please

dobbin

Could anyone help with map reference

B27 map reference 51 NW

This is mentioned in the War Diary and I want to visit the spot in 2 weeks time so if anyone could kindly give me the Google maps position relating to this reference it would be much appreciated please .

Colin

I may be wrong but it looks like an abbreviated reference. Most have a sheet number and 2 co ordinates?

Thanks John I know its around Gavrelle just above Arras and refers to the 63rd Division 10th Dubin Fusileers arrival at the front towards The Hindenburgh Line on 14th April 1917. I would like to find the exact spot and be at or near it.

Colin

I have identified the relevant area on this March 1917 trench map (From TNA trench map DVD)

Roger

post-42671-0-38680300-1433679350_thumb.j

I can't do Google overlays, but somewhere here guessing bhy the triangular road???

Roger

post-42671-0-37715500-1433680136_thumb.j

Roger thanks for that I should be able to find it with that. It will please my son and Grandson it's where my uncle was killed. Much appreciated. Colin.

Colin,

National Library of Scotland link to March 1917 map.

If you are not familiar with the site, there is a slider at the bottom of the box, to change the transparency of the overlay.

Blimey, my estimate wasn't far off!

Roger

The co-ordinates for the square highlighted above by RogerH on the trenchmap, and Google Earth is 51b.B.27

1) Sheet no 51b,

2)Square B,

3 Subsquare 27

That square is 1000yds x 1000 yds.

A complete co-ordinate would consist of another 3 items following on after 51b.B.27:

4 ) Letters a-d,

5) Digits 0-9 or 00-99,

6) ditto.

A full 6 items would allow location of a site down to an accuracy of 5 yards (if items 5 & 6 are double digits)

Dai Bach thats fantastic I have always wanted to access that overlay system which I have read about but now necessity has driven me on with your great help thanks. Phil as you say "blimey" my estimate wasn't far out is very true thats good as I had used that assumption now we have it for gospel. Phil I am going to take a longer look at your link thanks for the help.

Well done lads excellent work I am very pleased my son will be delighted and my 7 year old Grandson will be amazed he is already becoming very interested I bet his teacher will be impressed when he sees it too. Colin

Phil I realise the link to the map was from you I hope you understood my thanks to you. Not sure if I made that clear Thanks. Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again every one and Phil for the map link. I visited the map reference yesterday with my Son and Grandson. Arriving in Ballieul sir Bertault I was not sure whether to proceed down the farm dirt track and whilst debating in this very quite spot a friendly gent came past walking his dog and offered to help. He said he would take us to the spot which he insisted we could get down if we followed him so he proceeded at a brisk trot us in pursuit in the car in baking heat he arriving perspiring freely in a very exposed place which we could see was the convergence of the two tracks shown on the battlefield map. I explained all to this man who it transpired was an Arras Fireman. I thanked him profusely and we dutifully surveyed all. Shortly afterwards we proceeded to Orchard Dump Cemetery further north along the D997 at Arluex en Gohelle. The little lad wrote the inscription on the cross we gave him and he proudly planted it on Uncle Joseph's grave and said our homilies. Here are the pictures of the map ref on square 27. Colin

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5g27gujp6lidoet/AAA8ciaFjWnstaFPKAZUZ2p_a?dl=0