Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians Resting Uk World War I

sandybee49

Thanks BillyH,

I'm in the graveyard at this moment.

I couldn't find the stone on first pass and wondered what I was going to do next.

All of a sudden, my smartphone went ping, to denote a wi-fi signal from somewhere.

A quick check on GWF and I'm blessed with a message and a thumbnail of my target!

Give me 10 mins.....

Here it is, with the epitaph translated into Strine (my comments/explanations in brackets & italics):

post-109762-0-24838700-1443630590_thumb.

Er Cof am In Memory of

David Jones David Jones

Island Place, Llanelly Island Place, Llanelly

Gynt o'r Llyn Formerly of "Llyn"

Yr hwn a fu farw Gor(ffennaf) 17 Who died July 17

1883, yn 24 mlwydd oed 1883 , aged 24 years.

______________ ______________

Fy Nyddiau a Aeth Heibio, fy amcanion My Days Have Passed, My Ambitions

a Dynnedd Ymaith; Sef Meddyliau Pulled Away; my Heart's Thoughts.

fy Nghalon

Hefyd Am Also (In Memory) of

Sgt M aj JONATHAN JONES A.I.F. Sgt M aj JONATHAN JONES A.I.F.

Mab y diweddar Evan, a Esther Jones, Son of the late Evan, and Esther Jones,

O Bentref Conwil Of "Pentref", Conwil,

Bu Farw Medi 19, 1916, Died September 19th 1916

Yn 41 ML. Oed Aged 41 Years

Beth,

Sorry - been out there twice now with no joy. First visit was a classic case of failing to prepare - unbeknownst to me there are two All Saints, Hainford. One was built circa 1830 in what had become the centre of the village and is where the War Memorial is. The other is its predecessor from the medieval centre of the village, now a ruin, but still used as the graveyard.

The map on his CWGC entry indicates he is buried at the old church. However, was out there yesterday and looks like they had tried to use the churchyard as a "conservation area" - a guy with a bushwhacker was trying to clear the chest high nettles and brambles. So far he hadn't got much further back than the 1920's going by the dates on the headstones. I'll give it a week and try again.

Meantime I suspect you've probably already got this guy from Long Stratton, Norfolk - Lance Corporal Frank Dennis Alexander, 13th Battalion, AIF

20314802443_1468e4e095_m.jpgPrivate Frank Dennis Alexander 13th Battalion AIF died in this parish 1917 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

regards,

Peter

Beth,

I have F W Syder at West Norwood and will send it over later.

Do you already have A H N Lewis, also at West Norwood?

Phil

Thanks Phil received photo & is now on the website

Cheers

Beth

Beth,

Sorry - been out there twice now with no joy. First visit was a classic case of failing to prepare - unbeknownst to me there are two All Saints, Hainford. One was built circa 1830 in what had become the centre of the village and is where the War Memorial is. The other is its predecessor from the medieval centre of the village, now a ruin, but still used as the graveyard.

The map on his CWGC entry indicates he is buried at the old church. However, was out there yesterday and looks like they had tried to use the churchyard as a "conservation area" - a guy with a bushwhacker was trying to clear the chest high nettles and brambles. So far he hadn't got much further back than the 1920's going by the dates on the headstones. I'll give it a week and try again.

Meantime I suspect you've probably already got this guy from Long Stratton, Norfolk - Lance Corporal Frank Dennis Alexander, 13th Battalion, AIF

20314802443_1468e4e095_m.jpgPrivate Frank Dennis Alexander 13th Battalion AIF died in this parish 1917 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking so much effort in trying to find my Aussie soldier.

Yes I did have a photo of Pvt. Alexanders Headstone, but thanks for thinking of me.

Cheers

Beth

Here it is, with the epitaph translated into Strine (my comments/explanations in brackets & italics):

attachicon.gifSM Jonathan Jones AIF(sm).jpg

Er Cof am In Memory of

David Jones David Jones

Island Place, Llanelly Island Place, Llanelly

Gynt o'r Llyn Formerly of "Llyn"

Yr hwn a fu farw Gor(ffennaf) 17 Who died July 17

1883, yn 24 mlwydd oed 1883 , aged 24 years.

Fy Nyddiau a Aeth Heibio, fy amcanion My Days Have Passed, My Ambitions

a Dynnedd Ymaith; Sef Meddyliau Pulled Away; my Heart's Thoughts.

fy Nghalon

Hefyd Am Also (In Memory) of

Sgt M aj JONATHAN JONES A.I.F. Sgt M aj JONATHAN JONES A.I.F.

Mab y diweddar Evan, a Esther Jones, Son of the late Evan, and Esther Jones,

O Bentref Conwil From Conwil Village (although it could

be that their home is called "Pentref" )

Bu Farw Medi 19, 1916, Died September 19th 1916

Yn 41 ML. Oed Aged 41 Years

Many Thanks for this I have now added it to the website

Cheers

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sandybee49,

Looking at some of the remaining men you require, I may be able to help with Frederick William Davies 1638, who is at Stratford on Avon. If you could let me know any other details you have on the man`s grave , I will endeavour to get a picture for you. Cheers, cresser. ( that is if no-one else has done or is about to do it already ).

Edited by cresser

I may be able to help with Frederick William Davies 1638, who is at Stratford on Avon. If you could let me know any other details you have on the man`s grave , I will endeavour to get a picture for you.

It is a standard CWGC headstone, so it should be ok to find : http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=1392016

Note that it is Stratford-on-Avon cemetery, not the Municipal Borough or Rural District cemetery.

BillyH.

Hi Sandybee49,

Looking at some of the remaining men you require, I may be able to help with Frederick William Davies 1638, who is at Stratford on Avon. If you could let me know any other details you have on the man`s grave , I will endeavour to get a picture for you. Cheers, cresser. ( that is if no-one else has done or is about to do it already ).

Hi,

Yes still need this soldier, thank you so much, location on CWGC site is Grave 978.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Hi,

Well, all being well and I can actually find the grave, I intend going to the cemetery at Stratford tomorrow (15th). Thanks for the info BillyH that will make things a little easier, so hopefully I can get the image for you. Cheers, cresser.

• 1 month later...

Left hand side of the churchyard………………………………GRRRRRRRRRR :D

Just in case anyone else is thinking of visiting:-

1. It’s the old ruined church of All Saints, not its late Victorian replacement – also known as All Saints. 23078424301_9ca9c00e34.jpgHainford All Saints - the old Church ruins by Moominpappa06, on Flickr
  2. Standing with your back to the road and facing the ruined church tower, you’ll see the remains are surrounded by a chain-link fence.
  3. Private Colemans headstone is literally on the back right corner of that fenced off enclosure, (i.e the north-east point)
  4. The churchyard beyond the entry point from the road rapidly deteriorates into a thicket of brambles and weeds. The paths aren’t always kept clear so go prepared – although hopefully my elephantine stomping around the churchyard on the last two visits should keep things down for a generation or two :lol:

23218733931_e7ce9f7a31_c.jpgJohn Thomas Coleman AIF by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

Left hand side of the churchyard………………………………GRRRRRRRRRR :D

Just in case anyone else is thinking of visiting:-

1. It’s the old ruined church of All Saints, not its late Victorian replacement – also known as All Saints. 23078424301_9ca9c00e34.jpgHainford All Saints - the old Church ruins by Moominpappa06, on Flickr
  2. Standing with your back to the road and facing the ruined church tower, you’ll see the remains are surrounded by a chain-link fence.
  3. Private Colemans headstone is literally on the back right corner of that fenced off enclosure, (i.e the north-east point)
  4. The churchyard beyond the entry point from the road rapidly deteriorates into a thicket of brambles and weeds. The paths aren’t always kept clear so go prepared – although hopefully my elephantine stomping around the churchyard on the last two visits should keep things down for a generation or two :lol:

23218733931_e7ce9f7a31_c.jpgJohn Thomas Coleman AIF by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

Hi,

Many thanks for the photo, very much appreciated, will be on the website by end of day.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Do you still require Aussies lying in Wareham, Dorset, Beth?

Do you still need the Tidworth headstone?

Barry

Hi Barry,

If you have a photo of Trooper Alexander Gibson FORSYTH 3109, Australian Light Horse, I would be most grateful.

The location on the CWGC site is C315.

It seems no matter how many times I think I am near the end I find more, but this is the challenge, that I will eventually find them all is the end goal.

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

• Admin

Beth, do you have the two in Hove Old Cemetery?

Michelle

I have these, thanks for thinking of me.

Cheers

Beth

Any in Dorset that you still require Beth just let me know..

• 2 years later...

Hi Beth,

You mention a/your website ..... Could you provide the link to it, please?

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Phil received photo & is now on the website

Cheers

Beth