Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australians Resting Uk World War I

sandybee49

Hi Folks,

You have all been fantastic with donating photos & time searching for them.

Can I ask for help once more for those still needed

LONDON & GREATER LONDON

Abney Park - MILLS C S 3322

NORFOLK

Hainford (All Saints) - COLEMAN J T 2543 Thanks to PRC

Still individual photos needed at the cemeteries below

Blaen-y-Coed - Sgt Major John Johnathon JONES 1445 - Thanks to Dyfed James

West Gate Hill General Cemetery - Newcastle Upon Tyne Aubrey Rhys BRISTOW 3487 (munition worker) Thanks to Peter Bennett

Nottingham General Cemetery - Clarence Bertram POYSER 750 - served as Clarence Wilson Thanks to Mick McCann

Stratford on Avon - Frederick William DAVIES 1638 Thanks to cresser

Tidworth Military - Maurice O'CONNELL 5741 Thanks to Mark Edmonds & Peter Bennett

Hounslow - New Brentford Cemetery - Samuel Furneaux BURGE 2321

Kingston- Upon-Thames - Edwin BEGLEY 2162 (munition worker)

Paddington Old Cemetery - Kilburn Gt. London Charles MacKern SHERIFF 167

Portsmouth , Highland Road Cemetery - Roland Augustus HOBBS R.A.N. Thanks to Peter Bennett

West Norwood Cemetery & Crematorium - Frank William SYDER 236 - Thanks to Philip Evans

I am only too happy to send the locations for any of the names above.

My email is gawlersoldiers@internode.on.net

Cheers

Beth - sandybee49

Edited by sandybee49

Are family inscriptions to AIF men any use to you ? I have two somewhere from Salford Weast cem Lancashire.Ralph

Are family inscriptions to AIF men any use to you ? I have two somewhere from Salford Weast cem Lancashire.Ralph

Hi Ralph

Yes have already added some to the website

Cheers

Beth -sandybee49

Happy to do the Esher, Surrey one for you

Andy

Hi Folks,

You have all been fantastic with donating photos & time searching for them.

Can I ask for help once more for those still needed

HAMPSHIRE

Hursley All Saints - GEORGE L, LORD J S W, MOLONEY J R 4495

I am only too happy to send the locations for any of the names above.

My email is gawlersoldiers@internode.on.net

Cheers

Beth - sandybee49

Hi Beth,

Took a couples of pictures of the Australian Graves in Hursley today.

Australian Soldiers graves in Hursley Cemetery, nr. Winchester, Hampshire England

Individual graves in my gallery.

Let me know if you need me to send them by email or if you'd like them done differently.

Regards

Dave

Hi Beth,

Took a couples of pictures of the Australian Graves in Hursley today.

Individual graves in my gallery.

Let me know if you need me to send them by email or if you'd like them done differently.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the photos, will have them on the website later today.

Cheers

sandybee49 - Beth

Hi Beth,

I think the listing under Shropshire for Whitchurch should be this one http://medieval-wales.com/site_31_denbigh.php. The grave is listed here

The graves for the Tilstock names are on this site http://www.shropshirewarmemorial.org.uk/Tilstock%20(Cemetery)%20War%20Graves.html

Regards

Ian

Hi Beth,

I think the listing under Shropshire for Whitchurch should be this one http://medieval-wales.com/site_31_denbigh.php. The grave is listed here

Yes I would suggest changing the listing to:

Denbigh, Whitchurch Road. (St Marcella) - ROBERTS T 2184

because there are at least 2 places in South Wales named Whitchurch.

Perhaps a forum member from North Wales might be able to take a photo once they realise it's near them.

• Admin

I asked my sister if she could get Poughill in Cornwall, she said she could but I'm still waiting. I hope she can get the photo for you

Michelle

I asked my sister if she could get Poughill in Cornwall, she said she could but I'm still waiting. I hope she can get the photo for you

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Thanks, for your help will wait with fingers crossed

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

Yes I would suggest changing the listing to:

Denbigh, Whitchurch Road. (St Marcella) - ROBERTS T 2184

because there are at least 2 places in South Wales named Whitchurch.

Perhaps a forum member from North Wales might be able to take a photo once they realise it's near them.

Thanks for this have done as you have suggested

Cheers

Beth - sandybee49

Hi Beth,

The graves for the Tilstock names are on this site http://www.shropshirewarmemorial.org.uk/Tilstock%20(Cemetery)%20War%20Graves.html

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your help with contact and see if I can get copies.

Cheers

Beth - sandybee49

• 1 month later...

post-97862-0-03609300-1436796606_thumb.jpost-97862-0-21885200-1436796607_thumb.j

I think i added one that was not required, but I think I got there in the end. Hope they are all what you wanted but I did photograph all those in Tilstock cemetery

SJC

My wife and I scoured Penarth (St Augustine of Hippo churchyard) - GRIBBLE P P 2909 for over an hour ,we never found the chap, all I can say is there are lots of cwgc headstones none to mr gribble,so he must be buried in a private grave with a non cwgc headstone
Biff

My wife and I scoured Penarth (St Augustine of Hippo churchyard) - GRIBBLE P P 2909 for over an hour ,we never found the chap, all I can say is there are lots of cwgc headstones none to mr gribble,so he must be buried in a private grave with a non cwgc headstone

Biff

The CWGC photographic project show a thumbnail of this memorial, attached below. It may help someone find it more easily?

BillyH.

post-41657-0-54934500-1436860708_thumb.j

That MAY help some one, I tell you man the grave yard is overgrown with a notice saying the headstones are un safe, while were at it a spare sheep wouldn't go a miss as a lawn mower, :w00t:

we were on holiday so thought we would give it a go as we live miles away some one else will have look see

attachicon.gifno7.jpgattachicon.gifno8.jpg

I think i added one that was not required, but I think I got there in the end. Hope they are all what you wanted but I did photograph all those in Tilstock cemetery

SJC

Hi SJC,

Many Thanks for the photos, will have them up later today

Chers

Beth (sandybee49)

That MAY help some one, I tell you man the grave yard is overgrown with a notice saying the headstones are un safe, while were at it a spare sheep wouldn't go a miss as a lawn mower, :w00t:

we were on holiday so thought we would give it a go as we live miles away some one else will have look see

Hi Biff,

So many thanks for your efforts, as always much appreciated

Cheers

Beth (sandybee49)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just seen this request. Hainford is about a 15 minute drive for just off a road I travel several times a week so will hopefully stop by over the next few days. I was out there in March and while John Thomas Coleman is recorded on the War memorial there were no CWGC pattern headstones that I spotted and I did do a tour of the churchyard looking for names recorded on family headstones and drew a blank - however, I didn't know then that there was something to find :-).

I see from another post that you are quite close to your goal, so hopefully you already have good quality pictures of these Diggers from the main Earlham Cemetery in Norwich.

4204126645_89805d9cbd_m.jpgPrivate Edwards - 27th Battalion AIF - 1916 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4123301428_d9ebac0ff3_m.jpgCorporal Marshall - Australian Machine Gun Corps - 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

3889354805_2d34d41e95_m.jpgDriver White AASC 1917 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4151000449_fd5c80350d_m.jpgPrivate Hurley - 56th Battalion AIF - 1916 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4160470238_ceeeb8c4f3_m.jpgSerjeant Holtum MM - 12th Battalion AIF - 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

There may well be more for the Earlham Cemetery - there are 500+CWGC commemorations and probably as many again for individuals who are remembered on family headstones, so difficult to keep track!. Let me know if you'd like the image files rather than a link and I'll send them over.

regards,

Peter

Hi,

Just seen this request. Hainford is about a 15 minute drive for just off a road I travel several times a week so will hopefully stop by over the next few days. I was out there in March and while John Thomas Coleman is recorded on the War memorial there were no CWGC pattern headstones that I spotted and I did do a tour of the churchyard looking for names recorded on family headstones and drew a blank - however, I didn't know then that there was something to find :-).

I see from another post that you are quite close to your goal, so hopefully you already have good quality pictures of these Diggers from the main Earlham Cemetery in Norwich.

4204126645_89805d9cbd_m.jpgPrivate Edwards - 27th Battalion AIF - 1916 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4123301428_d9ebac0ff3_m.jpgCorporal Marshall - Australian Machine Gun Corps - 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

3889354805_2d34d41e95_m.jpgDriver White AASC 1917 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4151000449_fd5c80350d_m.jpgPrivate Hurley - 56th Battalion AIF - 1916 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

4160470238_ceeeb8c4f3_m.jpgSerjeant Holtum MM - 12th Battalion AIF - 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

There may well be more for the Earlham Cemetery - there are 500+CWGC commemorations and probably as many again for individuals who are remembered on family headstones, so difficult to keep track!. Let me know if you'd like the image files rather than a link and I'll send them over.

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your generous offer.

According to his service records (Coleman) it states he is laid to rest on the left hand side of the churchyard.

I think I have all I need for Earlham, will let you know

Cheers

Beth

Sandybee/Beth,

Could you post an up to date list of your wants?

Hi,

The names I am still missing are

Blaen-y-Coed - Sgt Major John Johnathon JONES 1445

West Gate Hill General Cemetery - Newcastle Upon Tyne Aubrey Rhys BRISTOW 3487 (munition worker)

Nottingham General Cemetery - Clarence Bertram POYSER 750 - served as Clarence Wilson

Stratford on Avon - Frederick William DAVIES 1638

Tidworth Military - Maurice O'Connell 5741

Hounslow - New Brentford Cemetery - Samuel Furneaux BURGE 2321

Kingston- Upon-Thames - Edwin BEGLEY 2162 (munition worker)

Paddington Old Cemetery - Kilburn Gt. London Charles MacKern SHERIFF 167

West Norwood Cemetery & Crematorium - Frank William SYDER 236

I am part way through the website for World War2 (Australian Soldiers resting in the UK), but will possibly call on your generosity a little later when I have added more data.

Cheers

Beth

gawlersoldiers@internode.on.net

Thanks Beth,

This grave is about 20 miles away from me,

Blaen-y-Coed - Sgt Major John Johnathon JONES 1445

I will endeavour to take it next week when I'll probably be in the area.

I will endeavour to take it next week when I'll probably be in the area.

Well done Dai,

You should be aware though that this is not a standard CWGC headstone.

There is a thumbnail photo of what you are looking for here :

http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2425568

BillyH.