Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help with any information on the 10th Field Troop. I think they were part of the 4th Field Squadron, Royal Engineers (formerly 6th Field Squadron, Royal Engineers) 1st Mounted Division.

What kind of work might this unit have been doing, and would they have been (or had) signallers?

Mike

Mike

They were 10th (Camel) Field Troop RE and served in Egypt and Palestine with the Imperial Camel Corps. The troop of 71 men provided engineer support much in the same way as the RE field companies and sections.

TR

Excellent Terry, that's really interesting. Where do you find that information, and, would you know if there is a war diary for that unit. The man I am researching was a mechanic to trade, not sure if he was any good with a Camel engine.

Mike

Just googled and got this on wiki

To complete the brigade structure and supply added firepower, the brigade received some other units: the 265th (Camel) Machine Gun Squadron, with eight Vickers machine guns, and the Hong Kong and Singapore (Mountain) Battery, armed with six BL 2.75 inch Mountain Guns. Despite their title, the battery was formed by men from the British Indian Army.[8] The brigade also had its own Royal Engineers (the 10th (Camel) Field Troop), a signal section, the Australian (Camel) Field Ambulance, and the 97th Australian Dental Unit, which with only four men was the brigade's smallest unit. The brigade included the ICC Mobile Veterinary Section, and the brigade's logistic units were the ICC Brigade Ammunition Column and the ICC Brigade Train, which carried enough supplies for five days. The total brigade strength was around 4,150 men and 4,800 camels

Mike

Some nice pics of the Camel Corps on the IWM Click

Mike

Many thanks again Terry. I only found out today (from photo original grave marker) that he served in the 10th Field Troop. Certainly had no idea he was with the Camel Corps. Could I ask one more question. Was the 10th Field Troop part of the 4th Field Squadron at this time. I'm googling away but not seeing a link between 4th Field Squadron RE (Which is the unit mentioned on CWGC) and the Camel Corps

Mike

Mike

I can't see any immediate connection with 10 Troop and 4 Squadron.

In mid-1918 there were some reorganisations going on. This is what the RE Corps History has to say:

"British mounted troops were reorganised into two divisions - the Yeomanry Division becoming 1st Mounted (later 4th Cavalry) Division and the Mounted and Imperial Service Brigades , the 2nd Mounted (later 5th Cavalry) Division".

The History goes on: ".....the 6th Field Squadron was passed to 1st Mounted Division in September 1918 and in September 1918 the Squadron was renumbered the 4th.

For the 2nd Mounted Division a new Field Squadron, the 7th was formed from the 8th and 10th Field Troops on 8th June."

TR

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated. I think I will have a search for a service record. Sapper Alex Campbell's service record does not seem to have survived, but will see if I can find something that might shed some light on it. This is what I have so far

?/8/1914 Enlists 1/3 Scottish Horse
1/9/1915 Entered theatre Egypt
22/3/1916 Home on leave (Scotland)
1-22/2/1917 6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. was formed at El Maraqeb serving with the Yeomanry Mounted Division.
24/4/1918 6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. became part of the 1st Mounted Division
22/7/1918 6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. renamed 4th Fld Sqdn,R.E. "
27/12/1918 Died on Service (malaria) serving with 4th Fld Sqdn,R.E., buried Beirut.

As said, found out today he served with 10th Field Troop. Am waiting on copy of the photo but will post when get it.

Mike

Cheers Mike

• 1 year later...

Just adding relevant (I think?) information from the site Terry linked to in post 5

" In March 1917, the 10th Field Troop, Royal Engineers replaced the section of the 2/1st (Cheshire) Field Company on loan from the 53rd (Welsh) Division. This, too, was a significant enhancement. The section of Cheshire engineers had been drawn from an Infantry Division and it lacked the mobility to support the Camel Brigade. The 10st Field Troop was specifically raised and equipped to support the Imperial Camel Brigade. Importantly, the new Troop had a significant capacity to develop water supplies; a capability lacking in the Cheshire's section. "

Mike

Mike

That is the diary for the brigade headquarters. Its diary is in the same box at Kew as that of 10 Field Troop, though the latter only starts in April:

WO 95/4404 Imperial Camel Brigade: Headquarters 1916 Dec. - 1918 July  
WO 95/4404 Imperial Camel Brigade: 10 Field Troop Royal Engineers 1917 Apr. - 1918 May  

Ron

Mate,

Much of the details are correct, the 10 Field Troop arrived at the Camel Bde on the 3 March 1917;

3-3-17   ICC (10th) Field Troop RE under Capt Inwood RE (3 officers 53 men) arrived at ICC Bde replaced 2/1 Field Troop RE

The Camel Bde strength at this time was

17-3-17  ICC Bde (97 officers 1981 men 2790 camels 51 horses 31 mules 169 native drivers)

The Cheshire's had arrived in Dec when the Camel Bde was formed.

28-12-16  Sect 2/1 Cheshire Field Troop RE att ICC Bde

The details on the 10 Field Troop is interesting as the water angle would make sence as the Bde was on operations into the Sinai at that time before moving up to Gaza, but the Bde had been on operations before that date and the Cheshire's had been a great help;

16-2-17 Hassana operation by Maj Bassett's 2Bn ICC (5Co 6Co 7Co) + sect 14Co + sect HK&SMB + sect Scottish FAmb & sect 2 /1 Field Troop RE att Lt Herbert (DMC Intell) to Hassana *captured 3 officers & 20 men rtn  21-2-17

Feb - March 1917 saw the Bde support units arrive form the formation date;

17-2-17 shown MG Sect (148 camels) RE Sect (14 camels) Sig Sect (10 camels) MVS (52 camels) mustered at Abbassia

So formation and deployment happen very quickly

25-2-17  ICC Vet Sect (MVS) with Sig Sect (6 officers 270 men) arrived at Bde

20-3-17  26 MG Sqn (265 MG Co) under Maj Millar (6 officers 120 men 8xVickers MGs) arrived ICC bde

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thank you Steve. When I ever manage to obtain the [6th Fld Sqdn,R.E. renamed 4th Fld Sqdn,R.E.] war diaries, perhaps the move from this unit to the 10th Field Troop, Camel Corps might make sense?

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Mates,

ref the comment that the 2/1 Cheshire could not "capacity to develop water supplies"

The War diary for the 1st Australian LH Field Sqn Engineers dated Jan 1917, has some details on the 2/1 Cheshire's and there water development duties.

It shows their duties under Lt FM Drake during that month and later when attch to the Camel Bde, so they were well versed in the water duties.

Cheers

S.B

• 2 weeks later...

This is Alexander Campbell's CWGC entry Click

I now have this entry in a ledger at the Scottish Horse Museum in Dunkeld. Can anyone help decipher this and what light does it shed on his service with RE, Field Squadrons and, or, Camel Corps?

Edit-I think the No 400546 entry must belong to a different soldier?

Cheers Mike

Forum Alexander Campbell Scottish Horse record.JPG

Edited by Skipman

Actually, the 400546 number must be his, it's part of his entry. It does not appear on his M.I.C. so not sure when this part of his service occurred. Could this have been after 11/11/1918 but he died before he got home. Don't recognise the Dalmuir address either.

Mike

Mate,

I notice in the orders for the 4 LH Bde during operations May 1917 that the 4th Field Troop was attached during this operation.

This may of cause be the Australian 4 LH Field Troop AE 2 LH FSE but the Orders don't say?

Cheers

S.B

Thanks Steve. I have just been checking the 1st Highland Field Coy, they were part of 51st (Highland) Division. Also just checked No 400546. there is Sapper 67 RE(T) 400546 RE Alexander Campbell.

This is either the same man and they have "67" instead of "57" or it is a completely different man and a mistake in the ledger entry. I think this seems more likely and that they are confusing two Alexander Campbell's?

Still doesn't solve 57 and 208665 Alexander Campbell's possible service in the Camel Corps.

Confused Mike

Mike,

looking at the OoB for September 1918 in the RE history this morning

(which I presume still held at the end of December 1918 when this man died)

The Desert Mounted Corps, 4th Cavalry Division had as their engineers the

4th (ex-6th) Field Squadron  (as shown on the CWGC data for this man)

however, the 4th Field Squadron was itself made up as follows

10th, 11th, and 12th (ex-6th, 9th and 7th) Field Troops 

So at the time of his death he was a member of the 10th Field Troop

belonging to the 4th Field Squadron

It seems that the CWGC have used the latter

while his mates who put up the original cross instead used the smaller/junior unit of which he was a member

Best regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Michael that is brilliant and thank you, and everyone for helping to solve this soldier's complicated (to me at any rate) service.

Have never seen a unit with so many name changed as this.

Thank you all and if you can think of any other 'nuggets' of information, please add.

Finding any war diaries will be the next problem.

Mike

• 7 months later...

The 1st photograph is WO 95/4404  A very kind friend will photograph the diaries I require, if I can tell her which ones I need. Regarding this soldier, Alexander Campbell and diaries required, would you agree that I need numbers 6, 7 & 8 Edit 7, 8 & 9

My friend could possibly do this, this afternoon so the quicker I can reply to her the better.

Thanks as always

Mike

595cc6a0a156b_tempdiary10.PNG.5dbb19b7e319ac391b2767947b4bddcb.PNG

595cc6c1b4e7d_tempdiary1.PNG.4b2c8ffac15928611b9a58ae4d00cf26.PNG

595cc6f646e48_tempdiary2.PNG.60970f037a32e3005e046d8304c5a0bd.PNG

595cc6fc6c8cb_tempdiary3.PNG.241cabe077ef1134e7ab4838dfd69977.PNG

595cc700e83ca_tempdiary4.PNG.e86c955a030e729dd29f57edd07c3c00.PNG

595cc704ab766_tempdiary5.PNG.d293a94d7ea90e8af114b76bfccd3b92.PNG

595cc70b359e8_tempdiary6.PNG.898e7010f0c2d7920a8f91cc59206126.PNG

595cc70ed5bf9_tempdiary7.PNG.b2ceb0694c264dc08857da74755ed608.PNG

595cc712deb6c_tempdiary8.PNG.04e584be27bb1e4d6a9bfbe3bca14449.PNG

595cc717d3aaf_tempdiary9.PNG.c3b88526863909623c94847c7cc5a1a7.PNG

Mike,

The Dairies that show Imperial Camel Corps are very interesting to me?

What are the chances of getting a look at these?

How do we go about this.

S.B

Good morning Steve. As yet, they have not been digitised and, as far as I know, only available to view at the National Archives at Kew. The only way to view them is to physically go to Kew, or, hire someone to photograph them.

Mike