Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are the poppies out yet on the Somme?

Dbaulch

Hi everyone

I'm over on the Somme weekend of the 13th June and wondered if there will be many poppies out yet? Anyone over there or has been there recently able to comment? Any good fields you could recommend?

Cheers

Dav

• Admin

Dav I will hopefully be there Friday and Saturday will report back

Michelle

Thanks Michelle! Are you going anywhere near the windmill at Pozieres? I hear there are road works and its not accessible. Had planned on visiting on the 13th so would be good to know either way.

cheers

Dav

Great pic Martin

• Admin

From what I understand the road is closed between Bapaume and Pozieres, so have planned a route which avoids the road between these two places

Michelle

Ah ok Michelle, thats worth knowing! will make other plans.

thanks

Dav

Hi Dav

The road is only closed from Pozieres to the Martinpuich/Courcelette crossroads. The easiest way from Bapaume to Albert is to turn right at that crossroads towards Courcelette, turn left into Courcellette, go through the village and follow the road to Pozieres. There is no problem visiting the Windmill site as the road is open from Pozieres as far as the windmill. There are plenty of poppies around, but as yet I have not seen any fields of poppies.

Kind regards

John

Thanks John, much appreicated!

Hope there not sending all the traffic that way. It's a busy highway for freight between Bapaume and Albert.

TT

No worry, the official diversions are a long, long way round. Although you do find the odd lorry coming down some of the narrow roads!

John

Might be no help, but the poppies on the Loire are wall to wall and ceiling tall.

Well if pointless posts required as above! None in my garden. Hope that adds value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

Found a lot more poppies on the Aisne than the Somme last weekend

Michelle

I can report that for the most part the fields around Thiepval and the rest of the British sector were mostly devoid of Poppies this weekend. They are growing at the road side however, on most of the lanes. We found one patch of field covered in them just on the way into Auchonvillers from the South. Both species, with and without the black cross at the centre. The edge of the field close to Lochnagar is looking like it will produce many.

Can anyone give an update on the road closure from Pozieres to the Martinpuich/Courcelette crossroads as mentioned in post 10. What is the duration of closure etc.

Thank you

Rgds

Mick

Hi Mick. On Sunday it was closed from within Pozieres so that you could get as far as the left turning to Thiepval (coming from Albert) and no further. I didnt attempt to approach from the NE side, instead opting for a nice scenic route through Longueval and Contalmaison. There was some sort of access into the middle of Pozieres from the road block, presumably for locals. Sorry I dont have details on what the duration of the work will be.

Dav

Thanks Dav, we will be there Friday but as noted nice diversions can be made to avoid the roadblock.

Mick

Just spoke to someone who lives in the area. They say the road works will be complete by the time the Tour de France passes through on the 9th July.

Well if pointless posts required as above! None in my garden. Hope that adds value.

Look on the bright side. At least the donkeywalloper hasnt done any in depth research and subjected you to a link to a wikipedia page with a picture of a poppy on it :lol:

J.