Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Scottish Horse

Sacha Maxwell

Hi

I am new to all this but I am researching my Great Grandfather who was Major David Maxwell He became Major, 3rd Scottish Horse, in 1914. Major Maxwell served in the European War, in the Dardanelles, 1915, and was mentioned in Despatches. He retired as Lieutenant Colonel from the Scottish Horse Yeomanry.

​I have a copy of his medal card from WW1 and the Boer War. He was brother of Francis Aylmer Maxwell VC.

Any help in where to start and things would be most appreciated. Likewise if there is anyone with an interest in the NW frontier wars of 1840s-1860 who could shed some light on Surg major Thomas Maxwell, father of DLM and FAM that would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Sacha

Hello Sacha, and welcome to the Forum!

3 Scottish Horse, a Yeomanry regiment (= cavalry of the Territorial Force) was formed just after the outbreak of war, and by Nov 1914 it had joined 1 and 2 Scottish Horse in the Scottish Horse Mounted Brigade. It remained at home and was attached to 63rd (2/Northumbrian) Division before joining 2 Mounted Division in Gallipoli by Nov 1915. I believe it only fought dismounted on the peninsula.

After the evacuation in Jan 1916 it went with the brigade to Egypt, where it formed part of 1st Dismounted Brigade. 3 Scottish Horse was absorbed into the Machine Gun Corps by Nov 1916.

For information on Surgeon-Major Thomas Maxwell I suggest that you try the Victorian Wars Forum.

Ron

Thank you Ron :-)

That would explain a few things - I was trying to work out how DLM managed to meet up with FAM who was on his way back from India in 1916 as Kitchiner's private secretary. I will have to go and dig out the reference again as to where the ship docked and where they met.

DLM was part of the ILH in the ABW. So guess that while DLM was back in Scotland buying cattle to send to Natal war was declared and he signed up again.

At least now I know what other names to look up for information :-) much appreciated

Thank you

Sacha :-)

Hi Ron

I have a little more information about David Maxwell

Landed England 12091914 and joined 3rd Scottish Horse (Yeomanry) 14091914. Served Gallipoli, Egypt/Sinai Peninsula. Seemingly did some covert work in Basra - unsure about that. To France, appointed Senior Major, 2nd S.Lancs Regt, July 1916, wounded in action September 1916, returned to unit December 1916. Appointed A/Col, 2nd S.Lancs Feb 1917, transferred to command of 2/5 Manchesters, April 1917, transferred to command 6th Seaforths and wounded in action May 1917 (near Arras, shell splinter). Total service in France from June 1916 to end of War.

Mentioned in Despatches twice; London Gazettes of 13071916 and 11121917. Eligible for SWB (not with medals).

Thank you

Sacha