Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID for "Brother Bill" s cap badge please.

GWF1967

Can someone please I'd this mans cap badge.

post-119457-0-47089800-1432932337_thumb.

It looks like either, the City of London Cyclist Company, or the 9th (Cyclist) Battalion Hampshire Regiment. However, I am looking via a phone screen so the resolution is not that clear and I might be off base.

Sorry Frogsmile I think the badge looks more like a 8th Battalion, London Regiment; Robin Hood Rifles or Rifle Brigade style cap badge.

GWF 1967 Is there are chance of a more detailed scan of the cap??

Sepoy

Sorry Frogsmile I think the badge looks more like a 8th Battalion, London Regiment; Robin Hood Rifles or Rifle Brigade style cap badge.

GWF 1967 Is there are chance of a more detailed scan of the cap??

Sepoy

No need to be sorry Sepoy and indeed the first two of those you suggest were my first thought, but I could not get the image of a possible crowned, wreathed cross to sit in focus on my small screen, and the lack of black buttons made me consider other possibilities. Looking in my Gaylor the cyclists seemed to fit the large round shape with a central device. If you are looking on a laptop then you are probably right and it is just a case of black buttons not being available.

Yup.

Hope this helps.

post-119457-0-99652100-1432939894_thumb.

Yup.

Hope this helps.

The shading caused by reflected light makes a distorted image, but I can see a wreathed cross now as Sepoy has suggested. Too big for Rifle Brigade, I feel it is either 8th London's, Robin Hood Rifles, or Leeds Rifles. I think I can make out a 'small' rather than large scroll at bottom centre so on balance I would say 8th London's (Post Office Rifles).

Notice the positioning of his left arm, he is very proud of his wound stripes and good conduct badge for two years without 'crime'. These latter were not at first eligible for TF, but by the time the wound stripes were introduced after July of 1916, the regulations had been changed to allow embodied TF to earn good conduct badges.

Might it also be the 19th (County of London) Battalion (St Pancras)? The 8th Londons has the Gibraltar battle honour above the cross and below the crown, which seems to be absent on the photo.

It might be 19th London's, yes, the overall shape is right. I simply can't see well enough on a phone screen to be sure. There appeared to me to be a small scroll at bottom centre which leans towards 18th London's, but I might be seeing things that are not there. Someone with a large screen should be able to be more definitive with the enlarged image posted last.

Looking at badge alone here's what I like from Gaylor:

7th Bn (Robin Hoods) Foresters

19th Bn (St.Pancras) London Regt

14th Bn (London Scottish) London Regt - has pre 1920 in the book and almost identical to 7th Foresters?? Not one known to me though.

I'm saying no scroll and I don't think the wreath is in the thicker Rifle Brigade style.

Is there a better high resolution scan again Guy? The clincher would be the bugle horn or XIX in the centre.

Are any of these family or just unknown photos?

Rgds

Tim D

Looking at badge alone here's what I like from Gaylor:7th Bn (Robin Hoods) Foresters19th Bn (St.Pancras) London Regt14th Bn (London Scottish) London Regt - has pre 1920 in the book and almost identical to 7th Foresters?? Not one known to me though.I'm saying no scroll and I don't think the wreath is in the thicker Rifle Brigade style.Is there a better high resolution scan again Guy? The clincher would be the bugle horn or XIX in the centre.Are any of these family or just unknown photos?RgdsTim D

Agree with most of that Tim, but check the 'London Scottish' reference again, I think you might be looking at the wrong caption in Gaylor's book?

Ah.....it is 17th Bn pre 1920. The 17th Bn heading is further along after the 1920-26 version. Thought it was odd!

That said my nominations are:

7th Bn (Robin Hoods) Foresters

17th Bn London Regt.

19th Bn (St.Pancras) London Regt

Might enlarge better.

post-119457-0-78205100-1432996208_thumb.

I'm going to say 7th Bn (Robin Hoods) Sherwood Foresters or 17th Bn London Regt.

I reckon I can see the crown and bottom of the bugle horn in the centre. Quite different outline to the centre of the 19th London Regt.

Rgds

TIm D

I favour the Robin Hoods because they had less good access to black buttons than the London regiments, who were largely grouped together at both Bde and Div level which made the QM task much easier in terms of uniform buttons.

Shame there isn't any shoulder titles.

Thanks again all.

Guy.

Shame there isn't any shoulder titles.

Yes, that seems relatively unusual for an infantry soldier.

Gentlemen... there are no battle honour scrolls on the sides of the laurels... so the London Rgt is out. However, there does seem to be a scroll across the bottom of the laurels from lower side star point to lower side star point, but I am inclined to place this as a trick of the light. The badge itself is in white-metal.... and if a scroll were present, this points to either the 7th (T), or 8th (T) Btns of The Prince of Wales's Own (West Yorkshire Regiment).

However... my view is that this badge if from the 7th (Robin Hood) Btn of The Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment)... there being no scroll.

Edited by sgt-maj

The 17th London Regt (white metal badge) during the Great War did not have any scroll.

Looking closely at the photo I'm not seeing any scroll on the laurel at all?

The 7th Robin Hoods badge (also attached) was almost identical bar the writing.

post-1563-0-00004000-1433142513_thumb.jp

post-1563-0-53950800-1433179598_thumb.jp

'Blackblue'... there is no plinth beneath the crown, so The London Regt can be eliminated entirely. It does look to be the 7th (Robin Hood) Btn of The Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment) as being the main candidate.

Edited by sgt-maj

Nice one. Well spotted. 7th Robin Hoods.

Tim D

Thought so - well done everyone. This seemed particularly difficult to crack given the reflection on the badge, lack of STs and absence of black buttons.

Simply a case of 'Progressive Elimination'.. my dear Watson! :whistle:

Top Marks and shiny gongs all round. Splendid job folks. Much appreciated.

I thought the Robin Hoods would have been using a black badge in the Great War period-have I got that wrong? Regards, Paul.