Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Edward Todd Regiment/number?

RobTodd

Hi,

I'm currently researching my Great Grandfather George Edward Todd and he lived at 36 Abercrombie St, Landport, Portsmouth. He was married to Mary Mussell.

I don't know how to find his regiment or number or what he did in the Army during WW1. He was born in 1877 and survived the war.

I have this photo of him which may help.

282753_10150341089903804_5948378_n.jpg

Great Grandad Todd face.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Rob

Rob

Looks like a Manchester Regiment cap badge to my untrained eye (but hopefully someone else can confirm that for you).

Do you have access to Ancestry? There are a couple of George Todds who served in this regiment that would bear investigation.

C

On the guess at General Service Badge, how about this chap?

Name: George Edward Todd Military Year: 1914-1920 Rank: Private Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal Regiment or Corps: Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Regimental Number: GS/105787 Previous Units:

1 Wilts. R. Pte. 31649, 6 Wilts. R., 906 A.E. Co. Lab. Cps. 415668, 43 R. Fus. GS/105787 Only received VM & BWM

Less likely to be this man due to location:-

Name: George Edward Todd Military Year: 1914-1920 Rank: Private Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal Regiment or Corps: Loyal North Lancashire Regiment Regimental Number: 30979 Previous Units:

1 North'd Fus 58440 Pte, 1/4 N Lan R 30979

There is also an RN man but too young.

Name: George Edward Todd Military Year: 1914-1920 Rank: Private Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal Regiment or Corps: Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) Regimental Number: GS/105787 Previous Units:

1 Wilts. R. Pte. 31649, 6 Wilts. R., 906 A.E. Co. Lab. Cps. 415668, 43 R. Fus. GS/105787 Only received VM & BWM

Thanks for this, does it say that this chap lived in Portsmouth then?

Unfortunately not. I'm just thinking a man from Pompey is more likely to serve in Wilts Regt rather Loyals N Lancs.

T

Wilts highlighted as above to clarify subsequent posts.

Hi, I can't seem to find this record on Forces War Records.

Are there any other records of this chap?

Thanks again

Correct - because the chap in the photo is wearing the General Service capbadge - indicating he's serving with the Labour Corps.

Graham,

Does that mean everyone in the Labour Corps wore the GS Badge at that stage in the War? Was it only LC that wore it then?

Tim

Graham,

Does that mean everyone in the Labour Corps wore the GS Badge at that stage in the War? Was it only LC that wore it then?

Tim

Yes - until the introduction late-on of the capbadge, with which we are more familiar. Although they weren't the only unit to wear it - the "Volunteer Force" also wore it, but they were the equivalent of the "Home Guard" in WWI and never served overseas. He's also holding an S.M.L.E. - something the V.F. never had access to.

The Labour Corps unit he was serving in at the time, was as stated 906th(Area Employment)Company, L.C.

Officers of the General List also wore the G.S. cap badge, but generally in bronze.

• 2 weeks later...

It was burned in the Blitz. Like most of us, you just have the basic info, but at least you have a great pic.

T