Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New WW1 Memorial - where can I get it made?

potty5

Dear forum members, I am a member of the local village WW1 committee raising funds for various activities during the centenary years to commemorate the men from the village that fell during the Great war. We have decided to have a memorial made to the fallen scholars of the Boys School (around 20 names) but haven't a clue who to approach to do the work. We would like the memorial to be approx 36 inches by 24 inches and be wooden, as this would blend in with the other old wooden memorials in the school assembly hall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mark.

Hello Mark.

I found your post most interesting, at first I thought that it would be an expensive undertaking until I went online and looked under things like custom wooden plaques. I think everything I saw was under $US100. I had visions of a carpenter busy with mallet and chisel or router, but the work I saw is now done by laser and beautiful work it is. It can also include art work maybe your group would want something like that, eg a tin hat, poppy or a soldier silhouette as well as the names. I am sure that a similar service must be available in your area.

good luck, and let us have a look at what you come up with

khaki :thumbsup:

Yes, a quick Google for 'laser carved wood' will bring up a multitude of businesses, so just find a local one and away you go!

James