Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chalk Pits - South of Pozieres

Dbaulch

Hi forum

The last time i was over I drove down to the chalk pits, just south of Pozieres. They were locked with a large metal gate but a notice said someone could be contacted for a guided tour. Stupidly I didnt take any details at the time and now I am regretting it.

Does anyone know who I should contact next time and what to expect once in there? Is it worth a stop?

Many thanks

Dav

You must be referring to the chalk pit in square 10.c, close to what was then known as Contalmaison Wood due south of Pozieres. The gate is there simply to prevent fly-tippers. On 15.7.16 the 8th East Lancs and a few of 11th Royal Warwicks gathered there after being repulsed during a German attack. Battalion HQ was established in the pit and Maj.Gen. Ingouville-Williams commanding the 34th Division, made a visit there. As far as I can recall, there is nothing to explore there - just a large chalk pit.

Bob

Yes thats the one, just up from casualty corner.

The site is closed as this is where the Service Déminage detonate the ordnance they gather. If you are desperately keen to gain access try the Mayor, M. Bernard DeLattre: http://www.conseil-general.com/local/mairies-villes-communes/mairie-pozieres-80300.htm. He may be able to arrange it - provided, of course, there are no detonations planned.

post-16428-0-39750200-1432659972_thumb.j

Thanks Jeremy, good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Was a DLI HQ just before their attack 17/7/16 also.

Mick