Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform help - 3 unidentified photos

SusanW

Hello,

In a collection of photos belonging to my late Mother are three WW1 era military personnel. Can someone please help me by identifying regiment, unit, rank etc?

I'll post them one at a time. The first was taken by photographer W. Wilkinson of Crumpsall, Manchester.

Thanks

post-121511-0-84286800-1432600837_thumb.

Hello johnboy,

Thanks for your speedy response. Middlesex you think? Well, that's interesting! My family had absolutely no connections to that county. I feel fairly certain that this is not a relative but someone my Grandad met during his military service (Rifle Brigade)

Susan

The Middlesex Regiment is a good guess.

post-121135-0-46454000-1432603792_thumb.

post-121135-0-30019300-1432603811_thumb.

The Middlesex Regiment is a good guess.

Not really :thumbsup: - the badge in the photo is that of the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment):

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/south_lancashire_regiment_cap_badge.jpg

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your help with this. The South Lancashire would make sense to me. My family are from Warrington and have been for many generations. There would have been a great number of local men serving with them and Grandad is bound to have known some of them - so could have been a family friend or neighbour. I have noticed some pencil marks

on the reverse which seem to read 'cpl' and then an illegible surname - I'm going to have to keep working on that.

Susan

Not really :thumbsup: - the badge in the photo is that of the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment):http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_regiment/south_lancashire_regiment_cap_badge.jpg

Your link doesn't work Andrew. Is this the badge you are referring to?

post-121135-0-26745500-1432607684_thumb.

The simplified pattern jacket, leather belt and the possibly Brown shoes rather than boots suggest a Territorial or service Bn rather than a regular?

Nice photo of a South Lancs (PoWOV) soldier from a service battalion. The belt, simplified jacket and stiff cap would indicate a probable date of early 1915 I should think.

Many thanks, once again.

Glad to help Susan. He is not a Cpl in the photo, but perhaps might have become one later. You are correct that Warrington was very much associated with the South Lancs Regt.