Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd King’s Royal Rifle Corps

familyhistoryman

I am researching Herbert Cox (No. 9107) 3rd King's Royal Rifle Corps who died 25/09/1915 and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

He enlisted about 1908-09 at Blackburn and before WW1 saw service in India and Malta. Does anyone have access to the War Diaries as I would like to know where he was when he was killed.

Regards Tony

3/KRRC were at FRISE on the Somme at this time. They had recently taken over trenches from the French 414th Regiment on the night of 19/20 Sep 1915.

3/KRRC War Diary 25 Sep 1915:

"FRISE

In the trenches. Rained almost all day but cleared at sunset. Germans shelled us killing one of our machine gunners. In the afternoon and evening we shelled the Germans. Battalion relieved in the evening by 4th KRR relief was complete by 10.15 p.m. and Battn marched to the huts at FROISSY reaching them by 1 a.m. (last companies)."

On 25 Sep 1915, the Casualty Return has 1 OR killed and 2 OR's Wounded, no other casualties/sickness for that date.

From this I assume Herbert Cox was the man killed.

Cox, 9107, was an Acting Corporal at the time of his death (SDGW)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark

Many thanks

Tony

• 1 month later...

RE: Louis Davis, Y1053, KRRC 4th Battalion.

Hi Mark,

I hope you can help with my enquiry. I'm interested in reading relevant sections for the 4/KRRC from the 1915 KRRC Chronicle. I have really appreciated being able to read your previous posts regarding 3/KRRC which have been very useful for researching my family member's history. My family and I are visiting the Menin gate at Ypres and the surrounding areas for the first time at the end of this month to pay our respects.

I am particularly interested in the few weeks leading up to 26th April 1915, the day he was killed. From what I've been able to find out, he was on the front-line preparing a switch trench along the eastern edge of Nonne Boschen Wood on April 26th. He is recorded as being buried 'in corner of field at junction of Nonnebosschen and Glencorse Woods'.

I have attached 3 documents to this post - I hope the attachment function has worked.

The first records details of his burial site.

The second a copy of a map from one of your previous posts, relevant to the location and date.

Thirdly a highlighted map showing in orange the two locations I think Louis may have been buried, very near to where he was posted.

post-123278-0-62613200-1436527431_thumb.

post-123278-0-70741700-1436527458_thumb.

post-123278-0-22368200-1436527469_thumb.

I hope you can help me with my enquiry. Your sharing of information on this forum has been vital to my research and is much appreciated.

Regards, Duncan Andrews.

RE: Louis Davis, Y1053, KRRC 4th Battalion.

Hi Mark,

<snip>

The first records details of his burial site.

The second a copy of a map from one of your previous posts, relevant to the location and date.

Thirdly a highlighted map showing in orange the two locations I think Louis may have been buried, very near to where he was posted.

I hope you can help me with my enquiry. Your sharing of information on this forum has been vital to my research and is much appreciated.

Regards, Duncan Andrews.

Duncan,

I will do my best to help you, but I won't have much time till next week.

Meanwhile could you possibly post a link to my earlier topic where you found the map I posted?

Then I'll know what I've already posted on 4/KRRC at 2nd Ypres in 1915.

How are you related to Louis Davis?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply. Louis was my paternal Grandmother's brother, lost at age 19. We head for Ypres 24th July. I'll get that link to you later. Thank you again for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated.

Regards, Duncan.

Hi Duncan,

If you haven't already seen them, can I suggest that you have a look at the Battalion, Brigade and Division war diaries. Out of the three, I would say the Brigade diary gives the better context of events*, and contains a couple of maps, orders, etc that might help. If you don't currently have access to Ancestry, you could take out a free trial, or alternatively download them for a fee from the National Archives. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353466 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=80+brigade&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=80+brigade&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna and http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=27+division+general+staff&discoveryCustomSearch=true&_cr1=WO+95&_col=200&_hb=tna

Regards

Chris

*EDIT. The Battalion diary though does include a list of named casualties, and a short, more specific description of the events on 26th April 1915 for the 4/KRRC

• 2 weeks later...

Duncan,

I have assumed that the Ancestry links to Division, Brigade and Battalion war diaries provided above by Chris have superseded your need for any extracts from the KRRC Chronicle battalion war record and have consequently done nothing further on this.

Can you confirm?

Cheers,

Mark

Chris and Mark,

Thank you both for your help, which has been invaluable. Your links and previous posts have enabled me to really refine the historical research I've been doing. I have done as you've suggested and joined ancestry.co.uk then used your links to access the brigade and battalion diaries. I've consequently been able to read particular diary entries that describe specifically the actions my relation was involved in, including what occurred on the day he was killed.

Our visit this Friday will be far more meaningful as a consequence of your help. I feel that in some way, even before arriving in Belgium, I have already been paying my respects by finding out exactly what my relation went through. Thank you again.

Best regards, Duncan Andrews.

bikingdunc1973

He would have enlisted between end of August and 1oth of September 1914, Do you know if he got the 14 Star?

If you have found his service record could you give a link to it?

Chris and Mark,

Thank you both for your help, which has been invaluable. Your links and previous posts have enabled me to really refine the historical research I've been doing. I have done as you've suggested and joined ancestry.co.uk then used your links to access the brigade and battalion diaries. I've consequently been able to read particular diary entries that describe specifically the actions my relation was involved in, including what occurred on the day he was killed.

Our visit this Friday will be far more meaningful as a consequence of your help. I feel that in some way, even before arriving in Belgium, I have already been paying my respects by finding out exactly what my relation went through. Thank you again.

Best regards, Duncan Andrews.

You're very welcome Duncan and more than happy to have helped.

The 23rd is the centenary of my own grandfather landing in France with 12/KRRC. He survived, but I will be having moments of quiet reflection this Thursday on what he was about to enter into and all the friends he lost :poppy:

Best wishes to you and yours for your visit. Your Great Uncle Louis is not forgotten.

All the best!

Mark