Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scotland and the Great War

"Scotland and the Great War" edited by Catriona M M Macdonald and E W McFarland, first published in 1999 has been reprinted. It is a collection of essays or papers written largely by academics for a conference of the same title held at Glasgow Caledonian University in 1997 exploring a number of Scottish themes relating to the conflict. Most of the authors are Professors of Scottish History at various Scottish institutions. The chapters are;

1. The Scottish Economy and the First World War by Clive H Lee

2. The Impact of the First World War on Scottish Politics by I G C Hamilton

3. War Resisters and Anti-Conscription in Scotland; an ILP Perspective by William Kenefick

4. Fighting and Bleeding for the Land: the Scottish Highlands and the Great War by E W Hamilton and Iain J M Robertson

5. Be Strong and of a Good Courage; the Royal Scots Territorial Battlions from 1908 to Gallipoli by Ian S Wood

6. Confrontation and Withdrawal: Loos, Readership and the First Hundred Thousand by Gordon Urquhart

7. May 1915: Race, Riot and Representations of War by Catriona M M Macdonald

8. Piety, Gender and War in Scotland in the 1910s by Callum G Brown

It makes fascinating reading and a rather refreshingly objective analysis of many myths. It challenges a few popular views and provides much food for thought. The chapters are all heavily referenced (usually a good sign). For anyone interested in Scotland's quite remarkable contribution to the war it is essential reading.

I missed it first time around and for those out there who also did, I thought it worth flagging. The Gallipoli chapter on the rather harrowing fate of the Royal Scots' Territorial battalions is worth the price alone.

MG.

This had completely passed me by, thanks for the heads-up!