Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Salonika Campaign Society

Guest marythomsom

Guest marythomsom

The Salonika Campaign Society continues through money donated by members to fund clearance work opening up key features of the battlefield. To date our greatest success have been Petit Couronne and La Tortue with various trenches, dugouts and artillery positions being made more accessible. However, given the speed at which the scrub grows back it is necessary to undertake work each spring to prevent nature from reclaiming the ground. It is for this reason that the SCS's Doiran Battlefield Museum project fund remains a open and We encourage members and all interested individuals to make donations to enable maintenance of key sites to continue.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else encountered difficulty with the SCS website?

Thanks Mark - I've just found a relative served with the 2/DCLI and wanted to swot up!

There was a facebook post that the site was down for some work to be done on ut.

Keith

6 hours ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Thanks Mark - I've just found a relative served with the 2/DCLI and wanted to swot up!

Simon,

I assume you know that 2nd DCLI were in 82nd Brigade 27th Division, 100 years ago the 27th Division were assigned the sector of the front line at the lower end of the Struma Valley in the Rendina Gorge between Lake Beshik (subsequently drained so not on modern maps) and the sea. I have some of the key reference books for the Salonika campaign so anything you want to know just ask.

Thank you! I now have two relatives with Salonika links: William Fielding in my signature, and Frederick Barnsley, my great-grandmother's younger brother:

Frederick Thomas Barnsley 1881 - 1953; labourer, born Soho Birmingham, married Elizabeth West St Chrysostom 27th August 1911. Addresses 9 Back 44 Talbot Street and 7/93 Devonshire St, Winson Green,

Attests Town Hall, Handsworth Birmingham 1st September 1914; joined Bn at Bodmin 2nd September 1914, in 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry number 12942

Transferred 7th Bn 22nd September 1914; ‘D’ Coy, Inkerman Camp, Woking

To France 23rd July 1915 to 25th June 1916

Home 26th June 1916 to 3rd November 1916

MEF 4th November 1916, posted MEF 22nd November 1916

GSW 7th December 1916

Demobbed ‘Class Z’ 1st April 1919

Simon,

I have the history of the Derbyshire Yeomanry, you can get a copy from the Naval and Military press.Not a bad read and a significant role in the final victory over Bulgaria. 2nd DCLI are mentioned in the Official History and in Alan Wakefields book 'Under the Devil's Eye'.

Thanks for the tip - Devil's Eye duly ordered! 

4 minutes ago, Simon_Fielding said:

Thanks for the tip - Devil's Eye duly ordered! 

Derbyshire Yeomanry are in there as well. It's the definitive book on the British part in the Salonika campaign.

Is any member travelling to Gradsko, Macedonia, by chance to take photographic evidence on the condition of the cemetery as has been discussed by the society here

Alan takes groups generally twice a year. I am not sure whether Gradsko will fit the program for his September group, but I have drawn his attention to this post, and also posted a link on the Salonika Campaign Society Facebook page.

Well done Egbert for not letting this slip away.

Keith

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 21:59, marythomsom said:

At the moment I'm not sure whether there will be a September tour as I've not yet got the numbers to make this viable. However, I will go out for at least 3 days to attend the commemoration ceremonies. May be able to get up to Gradsko as part of this but can't promise anything.

ALAN