Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skipman

I was looking for the war diary of the 6th SLI for 1916 (July-November) The war diary on Ancestry is here Click but I cannot find 1916 at all. Can you see it?

Mike

Mike,

Had the same problem when photographing all the 14th Division diaries and reported it. This was some time ago but on my previous visit when I had that box out before 1916 was there, I had photographed until March 1916 intending to complete it the following week, the diary was there complete when I started photographing it.

Andy

I'm either too tired, or losing it (again) I have just downloaded the war diary of the 6th SLI. This is suppose to be the entry for September 1916. I thought the 6th SLI attacked Gird Trench near Gueudecourt on the 16th of September 1916. This can't be the right diary?

xfn2xc.jpg

Mike

No Mike,

You are absolutely right, find attached the Brigade diary. So not the correct diary at all. So glad that I photographed them before all this started.

Andy

post-1871-0-61412700-1431903600_thumb.jp

It seems to be correct by the end of the months. Does the signature say " 6 Somerset LI?

2dw50k9.jpg

Does anyone have the correct diary entry for the 6th SLI for the 21st of September 1916?

Mike

Are there not 30 days in September???

Are there not 30 days in September???

Got to get up early to catch you out? :D

No idea which battalion that entry will be from then. Do you have the correct entry for the 16th?

Mike

Mike,

I only have the Division, Brigade, 6th KOYLI, 5th KSLI & 10th D.L.I. diaries complete for 43rd Brigade, as mentioned before the Somersets went missing while I was photographing the 14th Divisions diaries and I could only photograph up to March 1916.

The 14th Division spent a lot of pre Somme 1916 in the Arras area.

Andy

OK thanks Andy. Does anyone have, or has anyone ever seen, a copy of the war diary for the 6th Somerset Light Infantry for July 1916.

Mike

Mike,

Looking at the Brigade diary it looks like the S.L.I. diary is all over the place as the Brigade diary for October 1916 ties in between the 15th and 18th as in relief and wire cutting by 2" mortars although not quite the same for the 16th & 17th.

I know I spent hours sorting the diaries into their proper date order before photographing them. Might be worth checking all the downloads.

post-1871-0-30012300-1431942024_thumb.jp

31 days too for 10/16 :w00t:

Deep joy!!!!! if you need the 43rd Brigade diary for reference regarding the S.L.I. diary just yell, hope it is not too much of a mess for you to sort.

Andy