Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sister Sallie Round, Serbian Relief Fund, late QAIMNSR

Kimberley John Lindsay

I possess the cased Kaisar-i-Hind GVIR (Bronze), gazetted on 18 June 1946 to Miss Sarah Maria (Sallie) Round (1880-1950), Matron-in-Charge, Lady Reading Hospital, Peshawar, NWFP.

I have thoroughly researched her life, and know about her Great War medals (BWM, Victory named to S. Round, plus Serbian decorations), but have failed to find her portrait. A great pity! Perhaps someone can help?

Sally was in Serbia with the Lady Paget Hospital, 1914-15 (and even nursed Lady Paget at one stage). Group photos of the courageous nurses exist, but frustratingly without names!

After getting back to England with difficulty, Sarah Round joined the QAIMNSR in 1916, but only under the proviso that she would be sent to Salonika!

Nurse Round was latterly at 37th General Hospital, Salonika, with Capt Dr A. E. Barnes, RAMCT and others.

After lengthy service, she resigned from QAIMNSR in February 1918 - to marry a Serbian officer. Indeed, she insisted on staying on in Salonika, and thereafter worked for the Serbian Relief Fund, there.

Something happened to upset her marital plans, and, after the war, Sallie Round returned to England - only to leave for India in 1922.

Remarkably resilient and good-humoured, she ran the All Saints Dispensary at Pavel, District of Kolaba (Bombay Residency) for decades, doing untold good works on a shoestring-budget.

At the outset of the Second War, Sallie Round no doubt put her energies into the hospital on the NWFP - although, strangely, the dates are not known.

She died, alone, in a home in Eastbourne in 1950, two years after returning from over 25 years service in India.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

• 1 month later...

Dear GWF enthusiasts,

Here is the story, unfortunately sans photo (aka Image) of the admirable Sallie Round.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay.

Sarah Round.doc

Hi

For some reason I can't open the docs so apologies if you have researched:-

Have you tried the Newport, S.Wales archives to see if Sallie is photographed in her capacity as a Midwife/District Nurse in 1911?

Regards Barry

I presume you know her brother Cyril Alexander Round died in Lahore, 27th March, 1909. RFA Driver 23333

Dear Barry,

Many thanks for that: especially regarding the 1909 death of Sallie's Army brother in India - not previously known to me.

Sorry you could not open the document, have others had the same problem, one wonders?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

I was able to open the document, Kim, and thank you very much for sharing your detailed account of the life and work of a remarkable lady. It's impossible to know, but interesting to consider the possibility that there are people living in the UK today who are only here because their Indian forebears were brought safely into the world by Sallie Round and her colleagues and contemporaries.

Dear Siege Gunner,

Well put, and I agree entirely.

I was indeed happy to have been able to put Sarah Maria Round (aka Sister Sallie) well and truly on the map.

Needless to say, I am pleased to have shared her story with you, and others - and would be more than grateful for further information: such as has been so kindly contributed by Barry (aka The Inspector).

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

Thank you Kim. I just wanted to add that I have a copy here of the 1942 General Nursing Council Register for England and Wales in which Sallie Round's address is still 'All Saints' Home, Mazagon, Bombay,' so no move at that time. A check of the volumes in the few years following would probably shed light on at least a rough date for her transfer as details had to be notified on a yearly basis.

Sue

Dear Sue,

Very nice to hear from you again. You are untiring, in true Sallie Round fashion!

Acting on a friendly GWF suggestion, I checked the S. Wales archives for a 1911 photograph of the, in this respect, elusive Sallie Round. Unfortunately without success...

This is doubly frustrating, inasmuch as I have secured 1915 and 1937 nursing groups, which obviously include her, but are not identified.

Furthermore, I even managed to find not one, but two photographs of the Army doctor who examined the Round body in 1918, preparatory to her discharge from QAIMNS and proposed marriage...!

Many thanks for pinning her down as being still in the Bombay area in 1942. Her shift to the Frontier seems to have been very late in the war, therefore. However, her latter service may well have triggered the belated honour - which otherwise, perhaps, might not have been forthcoming.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

Hi Kim

Thanks for your PM. There is a Public Tree on Ancestry including Sallie's mother and brother Frank Augustus Theodore Round. He died in 1968 in Devon. He was married twice, 1912 and 1949. It may be that photos of the first wedding could include Sallie as she was in Wales in 1911. Have sent a PM to the tree owner who is obviously not aware of the story.

Regards Barry

Hi Kim and All

Had a reply from tree owner. His mother was at the second wedding in 1949. Unfortunately no photos but the name rang a bell with the old lady. They were not aware of the remarkable story. If anything turns up he will let us know.

Regards Barry

Dear Barry,

I am impressed. Very well done, indeed!

That is what I call getting close to (the unfortunately elusive) Sallie Round. I will insert all the family information you have so kindly unearthed, into my Round manuscript, straightaway!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Kimberley John Lindsay

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Barry (aka The Inspector),

Could you possibly beam me a copy of the Round family tree, please?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

thelindsayhouse@web.de

Kimberley John Lindsay

Hi Kim

Have sent a PM to the tree owner, as it is on the Ancestry site I can't forward you a copy. Have forwarded your e-mail add.

Regards Barry

Dear Barry,

Super!

Many thanks and maybe the tree owner will be so kind as to beam it to me.

I assume he has already seen my Sallie Round saga?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 2 years later...

Dear All, and Barry,

I received this just now. Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

The eMail went as follows:-

Hello!
By a stroke of luck I have had forwarded the research you did on my Great Aunt Sarah Round (Aunt Sallie to us). 
I knew a little of her work abroad and some oral history but members of the family hadn’t remembered much. Your biography is wonderful and will become part of the family history archive, if that is permissible. (It won’t be published).
I believe you were looking for a photo of Sallie, I think I have three. I also have a copy of a letter she wrote from Pershawer. I also have a couple of details to add to you biography if you would like them.
At the moment, although my home is in Tiverton in Devon I am currently visiting my son who has settled in New Zealand. In order to reduce luggage I didn’t bring my laptop so I can’t send the photos and the letter until I get back, on March 5th.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Pamela Blythe nee Round

Hi,

I was given the name of this site and have just read the thread about our Great Aunt Sallie. Understandably we’re all thrilled to have discovered Kim’s wonderful biography. I am fortunate in being able to add photos and other information when I get back home.

Her brother Cyril Alexander Round died, as above posts correctly state, in Lahore while serving in the army. The story passed down is that he took his horse down to the river for a drink, he was kicked by the horse and fell in the river and drowned. The death certificate gives cause of death simply as “drowned”. I’ve not been able to find any evidence of the family story. He is buried in Lahore. In the letter Sallie wrote from Pershawer she says she had hoped to have been able to visit his grave on her journey to Pershawer but that it hadn’t been possible. 

Her youngest brother, Walter Round, served in France. He was only 4’ 11” so was one of the “bantams”. I have embroidered cards sent from him in France to his wife.

Her half-brother William Henry Round was chief cook in the Navy and went down in the Battle of Jutland.

Best wishes to all,

Pamela

Edited by Guest
Had forgotten something.