Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seaJane

Britain's Deadliest Rail Disaster: Quintinshill is being repeated on BBC Four tonight (13th August) at 9.00pm and again (with on screen signing) at 3.00am the following morning.

NigelS

• 2 years later...

This must be a different repeat programme, but tomorrow at 1930 BBC4 is showing Railways of the Great War - a visit to Quintinshill ..., lasting 30 minutes.

This link

to Britain's Greatest Rail Disaster

gives other links, some of which may be new to some of us. Included is  a reconstruction using model trains.

Moonraker

• 3 months later...

I see in the Daily Record that someone wants to exhume the remains of the three children killed in crash and try and identify through DNA.  The chances of identification seem low and find it sad when people want to disturb graves, probably to get material for a book.

There is a memorial in the Cemetery at Leith to those who died and where I believe at least  some of the dead are buried. The battalion was based in Leith and a lot of the men came from there. I visited with a friend a couple of years ago and the memorial was obviously visited often and in good condition.

There were buried in an unmarked grave at the Glasgow Western Necropolis, a headstone was later placed on the grave.I just get annoyed at calls to disturb graves either for political reasons or more often so that a book or TV film can be made. 

It is the Rosebank Cemetery about a ten minute walk from Edinburgh Waverley station, there is also a regular bus service. However English bus passes are not accepted.

• 7 months later...

Fireman James Hannah who was killed on the troop train disaster of Quintinshill, buried in Carlisle (Stanwix) Cemetery Cumbria.

WP_20181227_14_17_24_Pro.jpg