Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Derelict tank in France 1936

MikeyH

The photo was taken on a Continental tour in 1936 by members of the M.G. Car Club. To quote the well known motoring photographer W.J. (Bill) Brunell:- 'Our route took us to Calais, and thence to Arras, St. Quentin and Reims. Over this section, familiar to all who have toured in France, many remains of the Great War were seen'. The British tank shown was encountered 'near Reims'.

The M.G. pictured was an example of the then new M.G. TA and was crewed by Brunell and as always his daughter Kitty. The exhaust pipe on the tank has been marked with what looks like CELAICC? Also other wording can be seen which I am unable to decipher, over to the Tankies amongst us!

Mike.

post-106539-0-79007900-1431454817_thumb.

An amazing photo, one I have never seen (and which doesn't seem to appear anywhere else in the extensive library). It's a Mk IV, and I think it's a Female.

I'd say yes, it is.

I'd say yes, it is.

To be honest they all look pretty much the same to me - metal boxes with tracks. Tanks are not my thing.

Craig

Is this the same one - http://landships.activeboard.com/t43817794/beute-mark-iv-female-1940france/ ?

Taken near Fort de la Pompelle, Reims.

Craig

I'd say definitely - note the dents in the engine silencer in both photos, identical.

Craig,

Thanks for the link, the tank on the French 14-18 Forum identified as 'Lyric' carries the same lettering as the photo in my OP. A postcard reproduced on that forum topic (page 20) is captioned 'Fort of the Pompelle - German tank nailed by the French artillery', this has then been amended to 'Mark1V donne par les britanniques au village de......et deplace a La Pompelle'. The name 'Lyric' is shown in another photo of the opposite side of the tank.

David, Yes, agree that is a good shot of a TA, apparently one of the pre-production vehicles.

Mike.

Yes, it is Lyric, which was a Mark IV Female top tower, though by the time this picture was taken all the top towing bits had been pinched, blooming vandals. It was 2648, so a mid production Female built by Metropolitan with a twin tubular radiator, similar to Deborah (which was 2620). Good photo - thanks for posting - just wish people would park their cars more considerately.

Gwyn

post-366-0-89348400-1431549757_thumb.jpg

These three photo's of tanks were taken on the WF C1938/39 by a professional photographer from the Manchester area, George Watson,

who was commissioned to take photo's for a proposed weekly publication about the battlefields twenty years after the war ended.

This one was in The station Sq, Ypres.

IanC

post-366-0-21404100-1431549894_thumb.jpg

This one is just noted as being in the Ypres area.

• 2 weeks later...

the second one is Damon II in Poelkapelle

the tank to be noted as being in the Ypres area is Damon II in Poelkapelle

• 5 years later...

Majella,

You are probably aware that is a pre production car, I think W.J.Brunel and daughter Kitty just borrowed

it from M.G. for the trip.  Nice car, a friend has a 1937 example.

Mike.