Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed with RAF badge

lascamelias

I doing a bio on an RAF Lt who died in 1919, and want to illustrate with a badge. Can anyone help, I've been going round in circles for what seems like years!

Many thanks

LC

Do you mean cap badge or badge of rank?

I mean a cap badge or is it a 2regimental" badge?. Thank you.

I mean a cap badge or is it a 2regimental" badge?. Thank you.

If he served before 1 April 1918 then he would have worn the Royal Flying Corps or Royal Naval Air Service insignia.

After that date he would have worn the RAF Eagle and laurels surmounted by a crown and with a vertical gold bar each side. Within a year the vertical bars were discontinued leaving just the badge. At first the cap was khaki with a black mohair braid band: http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/files/images/uniforms/preview/uniforms-011-raf-cap.preview.jpg

There are images if you search within the forum using the terms RAF Officer'.

I have his service record - the first entry is 23 June 1918 Red Cross Hospital Boulogne. There doesn't seem to be an enlistment date.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, much appreciated. I will have a look at the link and search for an image as you suggest.

I have his service record - the first entry is 23 June 1918 Red Cross Hospital Boulogne. There doesn't seem to be an enlistment date.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, much appreciated. I will have a look at the link and search for an image as you suggest.

I was glad to help. Please let me know if you are still struggling after making your forum search.