Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I've found a war memorial by some wheelie bins!

Andy Wade

When Bill Turner and I were researching the Pals. we went round all the schools, clubs & pubs photographing all the WW1 memorials, we rescued quite a few from places facing closure, they are now in the store room at Accrington Library.

Libraries are as good a place as any, until a proper permanent home can be found for them, and they won''t get misplaced if some one empties their garage.

• 2 months later...

Well, we finally got there in the end. The memorial is now installed on permanent display in Cliffe castle Museum. Sadly there's no room for it next to the stained glass windows (I checked as well and there really isn't room) But I think what they've done is marvellous. They've had a French polisher working on it and it's all very nicely cleaned up and mounted on the wall, complete with interpretation panel telling the tale. We are all really pleased to see this fitting end to what could have been a very sad story. It could so easily have ended up in the tip or on a bonfire.

The poppy wreath was put there yesterday as a final tribute to the men named on it.

post-9980-0-25305600-1447243513_thumb.jp

And here's a close up of the interpretation panel:

post-9980-0-96320100-1447243564_thumb.jp

Great stuff, and well done Men of Worth!

A wonderful end to this amazing story thanks to you Andy.

Anne

Andy,

A true happy ending, panel looks really good, well done!

Mike.

great result. I'll make a point of visiting it next summer.

Keith

Thanks everybody.

Keith, they've put it in their conservatory which is to the left of the main front door of the museum, so even if the museum is closed you can see it.

That's great news Andy. Are they able to display any more of the saved memorials in there?

I seem to remember many, many years ago that they always had a large parrot (a real live one!) on a perch in the conservatory--don't suppose that it's still in there?

Robert

Hi Robert. No parrot any more.

There are plans for 2018...

Apparently the Great war display moves around the various museums in the Bradford cluster and it's Cliffe Castle's turn in 2018.

We are hopeful of them doing something like getting all of the stored memorials out for the exhibition, and for the Men of Worth Project to supply some biographies of the men named on them for the displays.

We might also be able to use some of the 800 plus photographs we have from the Keighley News archive and match them up to the names on the memorials.

I think it would be extremely thought-provoking to be able to see hundreds of photographs of the men on the memorials.

Andy,

What a brilliant conclusion to your great quest, I have been up in Scotland so only just caught up with this thread, mine is still on going.

Cheers Roger.

Almost, but not quite.

There will be an article in the local newspaper about it's display very soon. The interpretation panel above was actually a temporary one, I've just met with Cliffe Castle Museum's social history curator Heather Millard today and got some photographs taken of the new one and with us both posing by it for the record. The newspaper won't publish pictures of 'items' without some human interest in the frame, so we've had to do this:

post-9980-0-81299900-1447597151_thumb.jp

Here's the new interpretation panel with pictures of the stained glass windows that complement this memorial:

post-9980-0-66151200-1447597247_thumb.jp

...and there's more! They've actually made a photographed panel as a mock up of the original but 15% smaller to go by the side of the stained glass windows upstairs. This is where they would have liked to put the original memorial but it simply won't fit. This is a brilliant idea and they've managed to accomplish a great display with it:

post-9980-0-16389600-1447597414_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

Hello there Andy,

Me and the wife where in Keighley today, we had dinner at the Toby Jug and then it suddenly hit me about your memorial, so we went up to Cliffe Castle and looked at it, then I went upstairs and looked at the stained glass windows, to say I was blown away is an understanding.

I must say that once you find the museum it's great they could with better signage from the car park.

Cheers Roger.